• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will pop into the fiberglass company tomorrow morning (Monday) and see where they are up to, if at all.

My main concern is the May Day holidays all next week, and it would be great if they can finish the mold and pop out the first part for me to play with next week, as everything will be closed.

If not I will laser up and fold a dummy steel floor to play with, I only need the front 1/3rd around the A pillar area.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I dropped into the fiberglass company this morning, I wasn't expecting much as Chinese companies are typically slow to get a start on something, but once they do, they are very fast.

They should be finished by week's end, and then needs about 3 days to cure properly, but good news is they are not closing for the holidays, so I should get my first part at the start of next week.

In the meantime I am doing lots in CAD, and it's being productive.

Their main products are large septic tanks, the end caps for the tanks, and sullage tanks are about the same as making my parts.

1682338442393.png

Ace

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just curious, is this fiberglass floor structural, or a drop in cover over a metal chassis/frame? I may have missed it, but are you going for a unibody type contruction?

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mostly structural floor with added steel reinforcements, and semi unibody utilising steel reinforcements..
You know, it greatly exceeds my knowledge base on markets outside the US and Canada where you could market this car if you wanted to.

For a while the prime attractor is the uniqueness, possibly the ride experience, but after that.....
Would the low cost per mile (vs the payload) be very attractive in Australia, given the kind of distances people would want to reach down under?

(Joke: I corrected While above from Whille, a.k.a. willie, lots of difference in the meaning, Joke 2: My grandpaw's last name? Yes, Willi )

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
where you could market this car if you wanted to.

India is a big potential. Asian and South American countries.

Would the low cost per mile (vs the payload) be very attractive in Australia, given the kind of distances people would want to reach down under?

Nah. Too much ego based car purchases in Oz, they wouldn't want to be laughed at in such a vehicle.

People don't realise how retarded most Australians are, what you call "Rednecks", we call "Bogans", and there is far too many of them.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
People don't realise how retarded most Australians are, what you call "Rednecks", we call "Bogans", and there is far too many of them.
Looking at current national news, we seem ahead of AU on that one. Ooops, off topic... My Bad. I'll try and un-Bogan my focus. :bolt:
Fortunately, 'The News' is not all of life.

And oddly the ego here (west coast style) seems more toward egocentric, where we will stick it in yer face even more if you laugh at it. Or 50/50, some hide back in the crowd, but many want the extra shock value. :hungry:

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So I got the A pillar 'arch' and the firewall box done today, only 3 pieces needed to make each, simpler, faster, less welding, more accuracy etc. I consider these to be of production design.

Oh, and one big change which I wanted to acomplish, is the steering rack is now on the outside of the firewall, see the CAD drawing, earlier I wasn't sure if I could achieve that until I finalised the floor. It's main feature is it simplifies sealing the firewall box to the outside elements.

1682767340253.png

Just waiting for the floor now, and that is also a production design, so starting to chip away towards a final, reproducible result.

Last edited:
Top Bottom