• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Senior brains can't idle too long....gotta think of something to keep us entertained! :pop2::becky: We're off to the theater to watch a movie (Oppenheimer) to stay cool. Suggest you do the same man.

At home madly going through every aspect of the CAD files to see where I can improve, so I'm not relaxing beside a pool!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At home madly going through every aspect of the CAD files to see where I can improve, so I'm not relaxing beside a pool!

So this pile of lasered parts, and another lot tomorrow, is the result of sitting in my office optimising all the front structure of the car, and you thought I was sitting by the beach!

When I get the second lot tomorrow, of course off to have everything folded.

It's still darn hot by the way, felt bad for the guys in the laser shop.

1690981671582.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just before I sent my file for laser cut yesterday, I did a final check and realised that I hadn't allowed for the thickness of the metal on one part of a part.

Correcting that 2mm or 0.080" mistake, had a flow on effect on every single other part in the file, and has taken me all day today to correct it by literally redesigning every part you see in the file below.

If you compared the parts to the parts yesterday, you would hardly tell them apart, that part of the part that's part of the part that I partly parted apart.

1691071393117.png

Feel free to compliment me on my nesting too

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you compared the parts to the parts yesterday, you would hardly tell them apart, that part of the part that's part of the part that I partly parted apart.

well, that certainly cleared things up for me .... :confused2:

as to the nesting, yours is way above my pay grade .... :shocked:

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just before I sent my file for laser cut yesterday, I did a final check and realised that I hadn't allowed for the thickness of the metal on one part of a part.

Correcting that 2mm or 0.080" mistake, had a flow on effect on every single other part in the file, and has taken me all day today to correct it by literally redesigning every part you see in the file below.

View attachment 26673

The only possible problem I see could be that the 2 largest parts are perpendicular to each other. If that part is to be folded, one of the bends will be with the grain. i.e. The grain is perpendicular on those 2 parts. Bends should always be cross grain whenever possible. But I'm sure you know that.

Of course I'm assuming that this is aluminum.

Last edited:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only possible problem I see could be that the 2 largest parts are perpendicular to each other. If that part is to be folded, one of the bends will be with the grain. i.e. The grain is perpendicular on those 2 parts. Bends should always be cross grain whenever possible. But I'm sure you know that.

Of course I'm assuming that this is aluminum.

Not aluminium.

However, the parts are flipped left and right so the surface is the same :-)

You deserve a cold one.

Yes, I am married.

Top Bottom