• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I lengthened the strengthening plate, the distance of the yellow lines, because it didn't quite extend past the engine mounts to my satisfaction, my blunder, I should have measured better.. i.e. as they say, measure 38 times, cut once.

And as you can see, the suspension is basically mounted, including lateral brace from mount to mount that you can't see.

View attachment 26692
The more I see your progress, the more I like it! Everything is neatly placed. Can't wait for that all important "skeleton run". Go, go, go.:car:

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had to modifiy the lower control arm crossmaber assembley, because the steering tie rods were too close.

You can see the scallop I have taken out, and increased the strength of the assembly some, and to the right, you can see in the CAD drawing where the tie rod routes, and why the scallops.

1693227515011.png

And finally the hot weather is breaking, as it darn well should by the end of August.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've always liked the concept of rivnuts, which are tube nuts that are crushed fitted into a hole, but in the real world they have a tendency to work loose and spin in the hole while tightening them. It's also a big issue to remove them when needing to repair, as drilling them out is a pain because they spin with the drill in the hole and damage the hole.

However, recently I noticed hex shaped rivnuts that can not spin in a hex hole, and you all know the ease I have with producing parts with the laser cutter, so it's logical to move to these as a joining method, and here is my test of this method today ..

Top Bottom