• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Interested

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I've always liked the concept of rivnuts, which are tube nuts that are crushed fitted into a hole, but in the real world they have a tendency to work loose and spin in the hole while tightening them. It's also a big issue to remove them when needing to repair, as drilling them out is a pain because they spin with the drill in the hole and damage the hole.

However, recently I noticed hex shaped rivnuts that can not spin in a hex hole, and you all know the ease I have with producing parts with the laser cutter, so it's logical to move to these as a joining method, and here is my test of this method today ..

I've found a dab of anti-seize works well with threaded inserts as sometimes the insert gets distorted a little during installation. Might not be an issue with the hex style.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've found a dab of anti-seize works well with threaded inserts as sometimes the insert gets distorted a little during installation. Might not be an issue with the hex style.

The hex will allow me to use Loctite on the bolts for extra security, whereas I would never use Loctite on a bolt in a round rivnut, that's just courting disaster.

I've repaired my fair share of spun rivnuts, it's painful, that's why i have never considered using them until I noticed the hex type.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We call them nutzerts and these hex ones look amazing!! I work on Freightliner trucks, and they use a lot of the old-style round ones and as you mentioned, they spin out very easily. We have to cut them out and crimp in new ones. It doesn't help they are set in fiberglass :(

I've even seen a few rivnuts with a dab of weld on them (round hole). In principle the theory is sound with the ribs they have they will grip, but theory and real world are very different places.

Anyway, another slight delay in the process, I'm off to Australia for a couple of weeks for both business and see my family whom I haven't seen in 3 years due to Covid.

I apologise for the delay, but I got the chance to go so I'm taking it, I will still be in contact here though.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
1697348060422.png

Yes, I'm back, and refreshed, well, as fresh at the moment as one can be after being in airplanes for 15 hours ....

I haven't seen my daughters and grand daughters in over 3 years, and my Dad has serious heart issues for which I wanted to find out more, so we did extend the stay a bit in case it was the last time I got to see him.

So back to it tomorrow
1f642.png

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so we did extend the stay a bit in case it was the last time I got to see him.
First off... welcome back!!

Yes, I made a trip back East to see my Dad in 2019. Based on his health, I kind of knew that would be the last time I would see him. We went on a nice day trip to visit some relatives, ate Crabs together (his favorite) and just laughed and talked. He passed away in 2020 (during the height of the pandemic). There were travel restrictions in place and I couldn't back there. Moreover, Mom said he wouldn't have recognized me anyway, he deteriorated very quickly after my visit.

I will always cherish that memory from 2019.

Really glad you extended your stay and got to spend time with your Dad.

Top Bottom