• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the roof filled in, don't ask me about rear window, haven't decided yet.

1698847709275.png

Also quite confident this is the production front crossmember, so designed and laser cut the steering rack mounts today.

1698847724330.png

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
having set in an Elio, if the rear seat had a headrest or if there was a person in the rear seat, a regular review mirror was pretty much useless .... with your staggered seating, I tend to believe a standard rear view mirror could be a valuable asset .... this would be specially true for drivers (like my wife) who depend on having one

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
having set in an Elio, if the rear seat had a headrest or if there was a person in the rear seat, a regular review mirror was pretty much useless .... with your staggered seating, I tend to believe a standard rear view mirror could be a valuable asset .... this would be specially true for drivers (like my wife) who depend on having one

Going to drive it first before making a decision.

I feel the taper will allow sufficient and safe rearward vision from the exterior mirrors, but we will see ... literally.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Got the roof filled in, don't ask me about rear window, haven't decided yet.
So, asside from the obvious tradeoffs of extra cost vs desirabuility... and the fact that it's actually unneeded, and that in my state it will only serve as a way for the sun to over-heat the interior... but of course I still am likely to more want one than not, even though it's not better that way, and less important than the car itself...
All of those points we know and have discussed.

But now lets talk marketing. Which is quite a different situation than the desires of our crew who show up here on the forum right now.(including me)

On the one hand, the arguments above will turn some people off, some on, and many will stay in the middle, accepting it either way because the car as a whole is the biggest issue to them.

On the other hand, it's an odd occurance that will turn heads, and more importantly trigger media world clicks and talk. That is something that you should be ready for.

The best setup is, "Here is half a car that has no back window... but it doesn't need one, just seriously consider this car, because it .."
(add some follow up, any of the ones below, choose the best to 'coin' first)
...'cause it gets 75MPG (32LPKM)
...'cause it costs less than your average sedan, and even less for having saved on a window
...'cause it is the perfect go-to-work car
...'cause it saves you more money than it costs, if you drive over nn miles to work each day.
...'cause it will get you more attention than a Farrari on the freeway.
...'parks and navigates the urban landscape easier than any 4 wheel car you've driven before.
...handles poor weather conditions better than anything except a snowmobile or an all-wheel-drive jeep.
...with no back window people can't easilly see what is in there to steal.

It took several years before EM had thier preset rebuttles well drafted into a concise meme(s).

I think, from a marketing standpoint, so long as you have your memes ready, you are better without the window, while the car is relatively unknown and unique. Then your year 3 model can suddenly have the rear window,... as an option, generating more click-bate-talk.
All that talk can easilly more than offset the losses of people turned off by the lack of a back window.

Or you can offer the window as an option now, that keeps the click-bate issue in play, just not as strongly.

Being able to pull a panel so I can put in the window, leave it open-air or a vent panel (Image) seems kind of interesting to me. 4th year option?

1698862654662.png

FER SURE, someone will open the window and transport 2x4's, pipes or shrubberies(monty python) in there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom