• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

My Elio Alternate Project Is Underway.

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today's folding went very well, very pleased with the results.

1700649885286.png

1700649861426.png

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This video is about rivnuts which I have decided to use quite extensively in the BEX.

I have always been aware of rivnuts, love the theory of them, but I have found in the real world that they spin in their hole, especially when trying to make repairs, so I have never entertained using them...

... until recently when i discovered hex shapes rivnuts that of course can not spin in the hole, and with the ease of laser cutting hex shaped holes, it's a no brainer to incorporate them, and already proving to be a winner the last few days.

12 x rivnuts are incorporated each side into the main front rails to bolt the outer rail skin on

1701108623132.png

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This video is about rivnuts which I have decided to use quite extensively in the BEX.

12 x rivnuts are incorporated each side into the main front rails to bolt the outer rail skin on

View attachment 26785
When I read your first sentence, my heart jumped up into my throat. I've been building and inspecting home-built aircraft for over 40 years and just the mention of rivnuts sends me screaming. Continued to read calmed me down. It look like, as usual, you've done your homework. good Job!

Mark BEX

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The firewall welded together quite well, I had to wait 2 days for my welder to get back into town.

The main front rails bolt on with the rivnuts, 11 bolts per side, worked out very well, except I had to move all the boltholes 2mm (5/64") forward, the paint blobs are the boltholes I elongated and sanded the burrs.

A lot easier to assemble, lower parts count as mentioned, and no apparent changes need to be made other than the 2mm adjustment of the boltholes.

1701269227309.png

I will attempt to mate it up to the floorpan tomorrow.

Top Bottom