• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Direction

dteke

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to provide customer input.
I feel we need to prioritize the Cost first, the Looks next,then lastly the MPG.
I don't want additional cost going towards a few more MPG' at the risk of raising the cost and worsening the looks. Since the primary purpose of this vehicle is to be a commuter. Most of us will drive less than 100mi a day. Getting 65 vs 85mpg isn't a deal killer.
I don't like the fender change at all. If anything put a spare under the hood. Comments anyone?

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
First of all, the wheel spatz are necessary to get rid of those hideous utility trailer fenders. Second the aerodynamics are greatly enhanced by enclosing the front wheels. (ask the Kraut pilots, WWII, about the JU_87 Stuka, when spatz were added, dive speed was considerably enhanced) Third, primary purpose is as a commuter that gets good milage. Fourth, forget the spare, two would be necessary as front and rear wheels are different size. A pressure can of Slime will suffice very well by getting you to the tire store! (and save 75 lbs of weight). Richard Boutin, Tallahassee (GO NOLES)

Michael Lowrey

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I agree MPG is bigger than price even if the price goes up a little the MPG will still help make this car pay for itself. This said looks count the lines of the current prototype look cool and if final product losses that it will be less fun to drive. I'm not liking the new wheel covers by covering up the front wheels so much it goes from looking like a modern hot-rod to a scooter. As long as there are after market options to change look back to current prototype then no big deal everyone is satisfied.

fast eddie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I don't care for the look of the enclosed front wheels...I prefer the open wheel concept with the "trailer fenders". One might sacrifice a little bit on gas mileage but I doubt it would a significant decrease. Displaying nice wheels is part of the fun experience and I am sure that this would be one of the options just as cruise control and bluetooth will be options.;)

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don""t know when this lets see the wheels trend got started, but a wheel is a wheel and we now have idiots out there that will spend $2000 on a set o "rims", thinking how cool they look. The ELIO is an autocycle, design for high MPG, ease of maintenance, low initial cost, etc., so if you want to muck it up , do so at your expense and let the factory stay the course based on sound engineering principals and not some fanciful whims of a minority seeking ""cool"" in everything they do!!

Floyd

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Why not make spatz or trailer fenders and option choice?

Also, how about making them both so that they are easy to change or to remove altogether?
That would also make it easy to attach fully customized fenders - which could lead to some very cool ideas.
That way everybody gets their own choice.

Am I the only one who likes the spatz?

dteke

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Ok First all three wheels are 15" right so a proper spare could be used for any flat. Second I feel getting anything over 70 mpg is great, going to 80 mpg while increasing the vehicle cost and killing the looks isn't so great. If u figure 80 mpg @ 100mi x $3.00 gal = $3.75 while 70 mpg will cost you $4.28 a day in gas. Not a big difference. Don't get me wrong here I'm not against more MPG but I don't want to see the price increase to get more MPG.

Last edited:

Michael Lowrey

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Don""t know when this lets see the wheels trend got started, but a wheel is a wheel and we now have idiots out there that will spend $2000 on a set o "rims", thinking how cool they look. The ELIO is an autocycle, design for high MPG, ease of maintenance, low initial cost, etc., so if you want to muck it up , do so at your expense and let the factory stay the course based on sound engineering principals and not some fanciful whims of a minority seeking ""cool"" in everything they do!!
Wow such hatred for people wanting to be cool;) I actually think the trend to hide the wheels is newer as they have been exposed with COOL rims up until now. At the end of the day Elio is creating a great platform just screaming to be customized to personal taste so both wheel lovers and wheel covers can be satisfied.

fast eddie

Elio Fan
Reaction score

A bit harsh comment IMOo_O. All I was saying is that IMO I like the exposed wheel look...and I am NOT one who would spend $2K on a set of wheels...I am a very conservative person. So, as stated above, I am glad to see there will be options.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rear wheel is a larger tire with different handeling characteristics than the front ones . while all the rims may be 15", the tires are not the same! RB

Top Bottom