• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Elio email

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You got that right. Most Chinese products are built to sell, not use. You want an example, we just bought our 4th coffee make in 5 years. If they build the car in China I'm not interested. Why do they build export items so cheaply? I don't know, but the situation reminds me of the old Isireli story about the turtle and the scorpion.
"If they build the car in China I'm not interested."

I thought the same way until I started following Mark and his BEX. He knows the difference between good and crap. If he gets the BEX to market, I'm confident it won't have crap in it. I'll buy one without having sit in it. I wouldn't be so confident about an Elio coming from China.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This isn't an opinion that you can choose to "disagree" on. It's scientific fact.

For instance, a Tesla Model 3 powered by a clean grid like California produces the same amount of pollution per mile as a gas car that gets 110 miles per gallon. On a dirty grid like West Virginia, the pollution caused by that same Tesla would be equal to a gas car that gets 85 miles per gallon.
We also have to consider where the electricity is produced. And of course how. Just because your area is coal, or the wind and solar is far away, this is an entire eco system. If the bulk switches to EV, we feel it as a whole. Solar is gaining, wind is gaining, the grid (except Texas) is gaining. The EV technology future is looking to be better over time, and petrol is at a number of plateaus. I still very much like ICE drive, but HEY!

I can't get over the fact that Dennis Berube legally drove his S-10, drag race ready truck to our Phoenix EV club meeting and it cost him 25c to do so. Each race he ran cost 87c, while the competition could cost $16,000 for three races. He told me that the only reason he didn't win every time was that the set of batteries could not dump that much power out. The rest of the drive was up to it. (simply more batteries didn't fix the issue)

Replacing your battery pack is no small mater however. And that should be worked into the equation. $16k will buy a lot of battery. EV efficiency losses are very low at the vehicle, but much higher from source to charged pack. But then too, the full energy cost for ICE is not quoted, since the effort to take it out of the ground is often left out, as well as processing. How much energy does it take to go from the middle east (or Russia) to a gas tank in Oklahoma? Yes that happens.

The price delivered to your vehicle should reflect the full production and delivery costs, but the Green Cost is not shown in that number. Simple fuel cost today to drive a car? 1/4 tank or 2 gallons for me? = 50c in EV. (very gross g-estimate)

But I like range, so ICE has a lot of advantage for me. But the future could, likely will, change that calculation.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool! My enthusiasm about this Electric Elio will depend on the final range etc, but I do love EVs!

Also keep in mind that this would qualify for the 10% federal tax credit for 2 and 3 wheel EVs, so that's $1400 off the sticker price...unless...

UNLESS, they can successfully get it to qualify as a car, in which case it would get the $7500 tax credit, making the electric Elio just $6500 (assuming you qualify for the whole credit)

I would absolutely buy an electric Elio for that price!
Yeah, well, some of us are screwed. We don't show enough income to make a dime of discount per "tax credit". Full price and being dependent on Paul's ability to make this a quality product?. No Way.

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I had to guess Elio is looking at Electra Meccanica and their success with a compact EV. I've been contemplating the Solo since my daily commute is only 16 miles now through back roads. My car is only 5 years old and can go almost 4 weeks without filling up so the 100 mile range on the Solo would still get me through the entire week. If I had to guess the Elio EV would probably be within the same range since there is always a compromise between battery range and space/weight restrictions in a vehicle this small. The Solo, for now, is being built in China. I would assume Elio would go the same route and possibly use the same manufacturer.
Electra Meccanica a success? Really? When exactly did that happen? My res number is WAY low and I haven't heard a peep from them.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many people signed the commitment to buy the Elio at the price (I believe) of $7,400?

The price difference per vehicle is $14,900 - $7,400 = $7,500.
Assuming profit was 25% of the $14,900, this equals $3,725 profit per vehicle.
The loss Elio Motors would take per vehicle would be $7,500 - $3725 = $3,775.

Perhaps Elio Motors would be able to honor the price of $7,400 to those who signed the commitment.

I do not know.

I would like to hear other opinions.

It would be bad public relations if they did not honor these commitments made by their followers.
I am sure Paul Elio has talked about this with expert lawyers.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, well, some of us are screwed. We don't show enough income to make a dime of discount per "tax credit". Full price and being dependent on Paul's ability to make this a quality product?. No Way.
Basically any working person should have at least $1500 in tax liability. This would include what you pay in taxes from taxed retirement distributions.
If the combined amount that you pay in paycheck withholding (or other taxes) is greater than $1500, then you would get the full credit back if you bought an Elio-E that year.

When buying EVs, people will often draw out of retirement accounts in order to incur a tax liability, so that they can get it all back when they claim the tax credit from the car.

Capes

Elio Fan
Reaction score
ElectraMeccanica Solo looks like a Hyundai I saw on the highway one day. It had been cut in half by a
another car. The driver was just sitting there. still strapped in, and the whole back of the car was gone!
Butt ugly little car, but I always thought the Elio was cool until I saw the Aptera.
I don't know what I want anymore. Why can't a real car company make something unique and cheap?
P.S. Yes, I almost bought a Smart, but that transmission...................
Electra Meccanica a success? Really? When exactly did that happen? My res number is WAY low and I haven't heard a peep from them.

Top Bottom