• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Engine Unveiling And Testing

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is suppose to be dyno tested January 28,29. Does this mean it has never been dyno tested before and these are the only times? This seems short. Is this when they slowly remove the oil and run it to destruction? They can't have their ceremonial "First Start" if the engine is destroyed unless they have multiple engines.

I wonder if the Feb 6 "First Start" means the end of engine testing. I suspect it does. It is embarrassing to celebrate something that later does not work out.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It is suppose to be dyno tested January 28,29. Does this mean it has never been dyno tested before and these are the only times? This seems short. Is this when they slowly remove the oil and run it to destruction? They can't have their ceremonial "First Start" if the engine is destroyed unless they have multiple engines.

I wonder if the Feb 6 "First Start" means the end of engine testing. I suspect it does. It is embarrassing to celebrate something that later does not work out.

From what we know the engine has been on a dyno for several tests however none those tests were running under its own power but instead the engine was being assisted in various ways such as via air pressure. We do not know if the late January dyno tests are the first self powered dyno tests however it is possible. In a recent article it was EM said they actually had to wait a few weeks to get the dyno at the end of January as for some unspecified reason the engine had missed its original running dyno time-frame.

The ceremonial 'first start' just kicks off the first phase of the full running engine testing which from what we hear will include the run to failure without oil. Considering all the testing that goes on before the full running engine phase there is nothing that won't work out now other than details as essentially from here on out the testing is mainly intended for running the engine in all kinds of ways to try and find unexpected behavior.

EM has told us they expect to have engines for the test vehicles in 3-5 months and this matches up well with this phase of engine testing continuing for at least several weeks after 'first start' then IAV taking some time to crunch all the numbers and determine any changes they wish to see in future engines.

Last edited:

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I park mine over sheets of cardboard. My drip pan isn't large enough to protect the entire area that leaks

Use one like this for your Ol' Drippy. They make bigger ones too I have one in the garage just incase but my ride doesn't leak even @ 180K miles
651.jpg

Top Bottom