• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Engine Unveiling And Testing

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2 transmissions were always in the mix. The q of which would be the option hasn't been finalized,
I am pretty sure the AMT was going to be the optional transmission and the manual would be standard (hey, a pun!). Unless I misunderstood and you meant that the AMT and a CVT were both in the mix as the optional transmission. But, I thought we even knew the model number of the CVT that was chosen. Hmm. I haven't heard any different. What's up?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, in the next year, if you have the time and location get to sit in it!! I did a 800 mile r/t to do just that, and all the thousands of posts, while informative, pale in comparison to the "live" experience. And that was just sitting in a Mall.
I too will take delivery without actually driving it, knowing how well it felt, 5'11, 145 lbs, ergonomics perfect, great visibility ( in spite of all the concerns, and the no rear window, is a no issue also. Wishing us all the best!!
I too was convinced by sitting in the thing. However, I would REALLY like to see what's what with manual vs. automatic transmission. Can one override the automatic by simply shifting manually? How responsive is the car with each transmission? That's a hands-on kind of thing, and I'd really like to drive before buying for that reason alone.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too was convinced by sitting in the thing. However, I would REALLY like to see what's what with manual vs. automatic transmission. Can one override the automatic by simply shifting manually? How responsive is the car with each transmission? That's a hands-on kind of thing, and I'd really like to drive before buying for that reason alone.

My Ford does this move shifter to S and an electric switch allows you to shift up or down through all 6 as you wish. While not something I do. I have tried it. Felt like I was 16 again felt like driving a sports car.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Accent loaner car we had when the Versa was in the shop had a shifter with the standard automatic pattern but from drive you could slide it over and use it like a giant rocker switch to manually shift up and down.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Accent loaner car we had when the Versa was in the shop had a shifter with the standard automatic pattern but from drive you could slide it over and use it like a giant rocker switch to manually shift up and down.
My MR2 has a system, no clutch, but you have to switch gears.(not necessary for down-shifting it does it automatically - goes to N when you stop) Which is accomplished by using the shifter on the floor, or up/down buttons on the steering wheel. Yes I don't know the technical name, but it sure is fun, and with a catback exhaust, sounds sweet!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have that on my Forester -- they call it something dumb like sportmatic -- but when my brakes started failing in the Smokeys last fall, I was able to take the dirt roads through the park without touching the brake pedal -- 45 miles of twisty mountain gravel -- just by using the "sportmatic". (Luckily, there were almost no true stops.) Then I drove it home 300 miles for a brake job the next morning!

If the Elio is set up the same way I could live with it but not love it.

Mark327

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I dono about you guys, but I'm chomping at the bit, to see a vid of this little 3cyl, singing along at 5500rpm on the dyno, see a load applied, listing for the exhaust note to change as she goes to full throttle, and see some glowing exhaust manifolds....
Kinda like this...

OK, I know, I need help. :)

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ceremonial 'first start' just kicks off the first phase of the full running engine testing which from what we hear will include the run to failure without oil.

Unfortunately the M&IR didn't include a notice that there was to be a display for the media of the running engine, and the techs continued with the testing.

Oops!

Bear in mind that the source of my information is my imagination, so take that as you will! :)

Top Bottom