• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Engine Unveiling And Testing

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just heard good news from Elio. They said they are making progress on the financing front. I requested more detail but I have not heard back yet.
Clearly in the beginning some investor may niot want the public to know they are making a move. Many reasons for that. I wish them luck ELIO needs cash and a lot of it fast.

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Me too, would love to test drive but fact is I want one and have already made my mind up. I don't expect a sports car or lux ride, I expect efficiency and am confident it will deliver.

This... I am willing to take delivery without ever seeing one in person. If for some reason I am really dissapointed, I should be able to find someone to buy such a rare/limited vehicle lol... but I doubt that will happen.

Gary Beam

Reaction score
I just want the opportunity to drive all the different options. Not just around in a circle in a parking lot. A good 10+ minute drive as a minimum.

If anyone would like to experience what an AMT feels like to drive, go out and test drive a new Fiat 500 with the AMT. I test drove on a week ago and liked it. Their AMT is a twin clutch 6-spd manual with solenoid's automatically shifting the gears. At first it felt a little strange taking off from a stop, but I quickly got used to it.

The one drawback to their AMT (maybe all AMT's) is the clutches are slightly engaged when at a stop. The salesman said the only problems they have with the AMT is burnt clutch smell if you get caught in heavy stop & go traffic on a hot day. He suggested putting the transmission into neutral if not moving for more than a couple minutes.

I'm not sure if there any other lower cost vehicles on the market with AMT's. I don't think test driving a super-car with an AMT would give any indication of what an Elio will feel like when shifting!

Sit back, relax & enjoy the wait...

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If anyone would like to experience what an AMT feels like to drive, go out and test drive a new Fiat 500 with the AMT. I test drove on a week ago and liked it. Their AMT is a twin clutch 6-spd manual with solenoid's automatically shifting the gears. At first it felt a little strange taking off from a stop, but I quickly got used to it.

The one drawback to their AMT (maybe all AMT's) is the clutches are slightly engaged when at a stop. The salesman said the only problems they have with the AMT is burnt clutch smell if you get caught in heavy stop & go traffic on a hot day. He suggested putting the transmission into neutral if not moving for more than a couple minutes.

I'm not sure if there any other lower cost vehicles on the market with AMT's. I don't think test driving a super-car with an AMT would give any indication of what an Elio will feel like when shifting!

Sit back, relax & enjoy the wait...
I swore we would never own another GM product. So after 43 years of GM we switched first wife then I to Ford. Both our cars have a transmission like that 6 speeds that shift like an automatic. Yes they are different and not as smooth as the old style autos. But effective and the fuel mileage is great. I am not sure if it is they same system ELIO will use or not. But same idea.
As for the ELIO I don't care if it is not prefect . I will deal with it as is. I would not expect the same standard from a 7K car as a 40k one. Foolish to do so.
Mach the snow should be gone I will be back on one of the bikes and the car will sit 90% or the time until next winter. And after than winter maybe an Elio to play with.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would also buy mine without seeing an Elio. I'm a big review person myself. I would listen to each and every report you guys write. And unless I heard a lot of bad things, will go pick my up at there store.

I suspect that many of us will follow that path .... it won't take long after they start rolling off the line for performance report to begin surfacing ..... personally, I will put far more stock in reports from members of this forum than from all the "professional" reporting that I may ever read

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect that many of us will follow that path .... it won't take long after they start rolling off the line for performance report to begin surfacing ..... personally, I will put far more stock in reports from members of this forum than from all the "professional" reporting that I may ever read
The review I was looking the most forward to reading was Zelio's. Breaks my heart we will never get to read hers. But life does that sometime and you just got to accept it.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would also buy mine without seeing an Elio. I'm a big review person myself. I would listen to each and every report you guys write. And unless I heard a lot of bad things, will go pick my up at there store.
Just a suggestion, in the next year, if you have the time and location get to sit in it!! I did a 800 mile r/t to do just that, and all the thousands of posts, while informative, pale in comparison to the "live" experience. And that was just sitting in a Mall.
I too will take delivery without actually driving it, knowing how well it felt, 5'11, 145 lbs, ergonomics perfect, great visibility ( in spite of all the concerns, and the no rear window, is a no issue also. Wishing us all the best!!

Top Bottom