• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New Headlights Could Be Dangerous

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the first two headlight motorcycle to approacy me at night in 1980. I was passing a slowpoke only to hear the blare of a horn because I judged it to be a car and more distant. I remember thinking, only "Suicide jockeys" would buy a motorcycle with two headlights.

Hidy Injunjoe... Welcome to the forum... some good folks and commentary here... I have to say that I don't feel particularly suicidal riding on my RoadGlide (this is my 3rd one) I've ridden bikes to all 48 states and a couple of places in Canada. Been hit twice, both times from behind so the headlights weren't a factor. (no serious injuries and both times the bikes were ridable after the accident!). I personally think training and developing good riding habits, as well as maintaining focus and situational awareness are the key things to staying healthy riding scooters... I always recommend to new or low time riders that they take the MSF Rider Safety Course... I thought I was a pretty good rider until a friend talked me into taking it back in 89... They showed me all the things I'd learned wrong and how to stay safe and enjoying riding...
I do find that Quaffing a YooHoo or two on a ride increases my "Spidey Sense" exponentially! ;)

Yoohoo moment.jpg

Seriously though, we Elio pilots are going to be in a 1200 lb. low and narrow profile vehicle that, like a motorcycle, is going to be harder to see... So defensive driving and SA are going to be the order of the day! IMHO... I also plan on adding some air horns like I have installed on my bikes, because I discovered several years ago that loud pipes just piss off the citizens whereas dual electric air horns put the fear of Jesus in wayward Suburban pilots! :D
"Keepin' da Shiny Side Up"

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OR... and this is a big one... In a snowstorm (or during rain) they might consider... and this is risky... using headlights during precipitation as required by law... GASP! LOL. That's not a poke at anyone here in the forum. I just can't figure out why people can't figure out how/when to use their headlights, turn signals, etc... It's not like it's difficult. I can't tell you how many times I'd see that white or light grey car at the last minute during a good storm. I don't see how those people live long enough to procreate.
AMEN! It's been the law in Illinois to have your headlights on anytime your wipers are on for probably twenty years now, and there's still plenty of 'em out there that never got the message! Sheesh! o_O

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect the drivers foot will have a lot more influence on the air flow than the reflective strips I plan on using on my Elio. I'm also using the tapes on the back of what I assume you are calling the faring. (Is the faring the same thing as fenders or spats or some of the other less polite names people who don't like them call them?)
Actually, zelio, I think "wheel pants" would be the proper terminology. That's what they're called on light aircraft, and they're there for the same reason as on the Elio, streamlining.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AMEN! It's been the law in Illinois to have your headlights on anytime your wipers are on for probably twenty years now, and there's still plenty of 'em out there that never got the message! Sheesh! o_O

I have to admit it is a law I have never heard of until you mentioned it. I'll be more aware now as to whether I have lights on when wipers are on.

Squier

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I like more lights, I was thinking of some functional Bright lights mounted to the wheel pants. But then considered the standards already in place for Navigation Lights . Red for Port side and Green for Starboard side. Like the Neon rope lights over the wheel pants. Google Navigation Lights. Been used for airplane and boats. All adding to the situational awareness in total black out or lack of any reference points most common on roads. Reflective painted lines, reflective markers on Guard rails. I would like to think I can fly in the little Elio Maybe I should also consider some Hi Powered landing lights LOL

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tires rotate at about 800 rpm (15" tires), about 13 revs per second, at 60 mph. So, let's place two magnets on opposite sides of the front wheels and led lights with pick-up coils that would flash each time a magnet passed the coil. You'd get 26 flashes per second at 60 mph. No wiring, no appreciable energy drain, and leds are almost indestructible. Is that a Rube Goldberg scheme or what??

Top Bottom