• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Carpet? Really?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I STAND CORRECTED. Anything other than Automatic or straight stick gets added or modified at the marshaling center. It still makes no sense to unbolt a seat when we know it was to be heated leather seat before the order hit the production line. Same for unbolting the seats to do carpeting.

But that's just it, the factory won't know those details. The factory is solely focused on producing basically identical Elios, that then get shipped to marshalling centers to await a buyer. For the most part, when a buyer makes an order at one of the Elio stores, the actual vehicle they get was built long before they ordered it. This is to facilitate EMs goal of a 24-hour turn around on most orders.

Even for the Reservation buyers, the factory will just produce generic machines that will then have the options installed at a marshalling center located within the factory (presumably to help them develop a "best practices" guide book for future marshalling centers).

It may seem inefficient to remove something that you just put in, but saving the customization for later helps the factory produce at a higher speed/volume, which in-turn allows them to lower the base price of the vehicle.

TMOSteel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you went out today and bought a 2016 Kawasaki KLR650 the MSRP would be $6600. You would get 1 less wheel, 2 fewer pistons, 52 mpg, and no carpet*. If Elio pulls this off for $7300 it's a steal. I, for one, will get carpet primary for its sound deadening characteristics.

*I'm not knocking the KLR650. I have a 2008 (essentially the same as a 2016) and I love the thing for its brick-sh__house simplicity.

Would love to get a bike (that's actually what led me to find Elio, its a long story...) but the boss says "No". She doesn't care that I have health insurance, life insurance etc. So anything with two wheels at my house has to be human powered. Sucks, but she looks the other way when it comes to my other toys so I can live with it (and her, :D ).

I appreciate all the replies, I guess it's cool they're giving us the color option but I honestly would think a default carpet would have been the better way to go, but thats not an educated response not really knowing what the carpet-less interior would be like.

As far as installation goes they may not have to remove the seats depending on how the carpet is cut, 1 piece or 2 piece, etc. I know the carpet in my Suzuki SX4 has a number of cutouts under the seats for the mounts so it might be possible what they're planning can be installed without removing them.

I have not had the pleasure of meeting an Elio in person yet but when I do I'll have to get up close and person on its interior assembly.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I plan on having the interior floor sprayed with truck bed liner instead of carpet for easy cleaning
But that's just it, the factory won't know those details. The factory is solely focused on producing basically identical Elios, that then get shipped to marshalling centers to await a buyer. For the most part, when a buyer makes an order at one of the Elio stores, the actual vehicle they get was built long before they ordered it. This is to facilitate EMs goal of a 24-hour turn around on most orders.

Even for the Reservation buyers, the factory will just produce generic machines that will then have the options installed at a marshalling center located within the factory (presumably to help them develop a "best practices" guide book for future marshalling centers).

It may seem inefficient to remove something that you just put in, but saving the customization for later helps the factory produce at a higher speed/volume, which in-turn allows them to lower the base price of the vehicle.
The fine points are yet to be worked out imo. With variations in paint and transmission only, 7 Paints X 2 Transmissions, that would be 14 variant models coming off the main line. The marshalling centers may end up being something more than plug and play. For instance in the seat example. Maybe the marshalling centers install the seats if they are doing the carpets, or maybe the main line does the carpets if they are doing the seats.
Or maybe 78.6% of customers want black carpet,so the factory does all seats and a discounted black carpet, and custom carpet is done at marshalling center for a seat removal price.
In manufacturing, the devil is always in the organizational details.

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Computer power makes it possible to track every individual car order. Individually paint and custom install only once at the assigned assembly station. not afterwards. This goes for things like custom tires, carpet or no. and heated or not leather seats. Just saying .

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Computer power makes it possible to track every individual car order. Individually paint and custom install only once at the assigned assembly station. not afterwards. This goes for things like custom tires, carpet or no. and heated or not leather seats. Just saying .
Agreed, I would be happy to wait an extra day to allow the paint to dry, so to speak.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I STAND CORRECTED. Anything other than Automatic or straight stick gets added or modified at the marshaling center. It still makes no sense to unbolt a seat when we know it was to be heated leather seat before the order hit the production line. Same for unbolting the seats to do carpeting.

What makes you so certain that the seats would be installed at the factory? Ship some cars. Ship some seats. Have the marshaling center figure out which seats should be in what cars. Voila, no unbolting. Oh, and put in the carpet before you throw in that seat.

Of course, first there has to be a factory actually producing cars, but hey, who's bitter?

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What makes you so certain that the seats would be installed at the factory? Ship some cars. Ship some seats. Have the marshaling center figure out which seats should be in what cars. Voila, no unbolting. Oh, and put in the carpet before you throw in that seat.

Of course, first there has to be a factory actually producing cars, but hey, who's bitter?
No fair going to an armory and borrowing a Barrrett 50 cal sniper rifle just to make a cool looking avatar, Inigo93.

Top Bottom