• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could still be tested independently but not officially given the rating. My guess is that will be the case.

it could read something like this: After exhaustive independent testing XYZ Labs conclude The ELio P6 meets & exceeds all current
national 5 star crash rating standards, or some such..........2016 Elio meets 5 Star Safety standard..........vetted by insurance institute
no doubt...........

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed! At this market position there's no need to inject more technology just for it's own sake. A $4 mirror (maybe $8 for the pair) will work just fine.
I found the photo someone took of somebody standing directly behind the narrow, tapered Elio. The rearview seems surprisingly adequate using the side mirrors.......at least for most drivers.
image.jpg

barry

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll only be blind to about six inches dead center behind elio, it's more a psychological than a real hindrance! ="reluctorvalve, post: 23241, member: 1108"]All,
Some weeks ago I read a news article that described the upcoming requirement of backup cameras to be installed as standard gear in all new US-sold cars under 10,000 lbs. beginning in 2018. I don't recall the exact article, but here is the NHTSA link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About NHTSA/Press Releases/2014/NHTSA Announces Final Rule Requiring Rear Visibility Technology

This topic may have already been covered in-depth here before - I'm new here, so I don't know. But, I would think that with the Elio still being in the design phases that perhaps they should make the rear-view camera standard on all of their vehicles from the get-go, just to be ahead of the game. Especially since the Elio has zero visibility directly to the rear view.

What have you all heard about Elio's plans, if any, for this "standard.?" In speaking recently with Elio folks down in Phx at Chandler Fashion Square, it was described as an "upcoming option."
r-.[/QUOTE]
Youll

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'll only be blind to about six inches dead center behind elio, it's more a psychological than a real hindrance! ="reluctorvalve, post: 23241, member: 1108"]All,
Some weeks ago I read a news article that described the upcoming requirement of backup cameras to be installed as standard gear in all new US-sold cars under 10,000 lbs. beginning in 2018. I don't recall the exact article, but here is the NHTSA link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About NHTSA/Press Releases/2014/NHTSA Announces Final Rule Requiring Rear Visibility Technology

This topic may have already been covered in-depth here before - I'm new here, so I don't know. But, I would think that with the Elio still being in the design phases that perhaps they should make the rear-view camera standard on all of their vehicles from the get-go, just to be ahead of the game. Especially since the Elio has zero visibility directly to the rear view.

What have you all heard about Elio's plans, if any, for this "standard.?" In speaking recently with Elio folks down in Phx at Chandler Fashion Square, it was described as an "upcoming option."
r-.

I would suspect that to be a requirement for cars not Elios. If that's not the case then I agree it may as well be standard from the get go. Seems to be a much anticipated option. Also, the base $6800 Elio, with added after market options, seems to be the model Elio wants to follow to keep costs in check.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

r-.

Good catch. You are correct that we have discussed this rule and when we researched it and read the rule we found the Elio would be exempt from this rule because, as it has less than four wheels, it is classified by the federal government as a motorcycle and they are not included in the rule.

You can read the actual rule here: https://www.federalregister.gov/art...otor-vehicle-safety-standards-rear-visibility

rmcelroy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Seems I have read that major car makers are exploring the path of abandoning on board electronics, GPS music etc. IIRC the idea was that the technology was obsolete even before the vehicle was paid for. The new route would be to provide a data port, the user would supply the processor. You would choose to use a Pad, Android or what ever may develope. You get the apps you want, all the newest stuff.
That idea intrigues me. This leads me back to the dash thread. Let me pick my own dash, rearview mirror ect. This should be an option, no extra cost to EM. Let the free market do that lifting, I already have a wifi OBD2 reader, an app gives me a dash.

I guess the thing that gets me going on this subject is that it opens the door to new forms of car control that we don't even know about yet, don't ask me what those are-cause I don't know. Thats the fun part!

Last edited:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the need for a rear view camera is more psychological than safety based. The average driver is used to using the rear view mirror predominantly and the side mirrors not so much, even for things visible from the side mirrors.My boss actually chewed me out last week for turning around and looking out the rear window while backing into a spot (the way most of us learned to back up) instead of using my side mirrors. He wants me to get good and comfortable using the side mirrors because our rear view is often blocked by equipment.

Top Bottom