• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was mentioned prior, along with a photo, that because of Elio's narrow tapered body.............you really don't need a back up camera.........so it seems the optional back up camera would be the best option.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly the Elio could be tested because it is a vehicle but most likely won't be because it weighs less than 1500 pounds. Am I correct? :) Z

It could still be tested independently but not officially given the rating. My guess is that will be the case.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
If I understand this correctly the Elio could be tested because it is a vehicle but most likely won't be because it weighs less than 1500 pounds. Am I correct? :) Z

The other issue I see is that according to the Federal government the Elio is not a passenger car but instead a motorcycle and the NHTSA weight rating specify "passenger car".

I am sure Elio Motors will just have the vehicle tested at a certified test facility to document the fact that the vehicle meets or exceeds the crash rating requirements.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The other issue I see is that according to the Federal government the Elio is not a passenger car but instead a motorcycle and the NHTSA weight rating specify "passenger car".

I am sure Elio Motors will just have the vehicle tested at a certified test facility to document the fact that the vehicle meets or exceeds the crash rating requirements.
I don't even question that Elio will have it tested at a certified facility. I was simply trying to clarify the information about NHTSA since it seemed to waffle between vehicle and car. To me a vehicle is anything with an engine of some sort. At least I don't think of a bicycle as a vehicle although I guess it is, sort of. I will have to look up the definition of vehicle - some other time. LOL :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm guessing that a classification of "Autocycle" @ the Fed level would call for testing but that may be a more practical thing
to do at the Sate level which would leave it an open question............

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even question that Elio will have it tested at a certified facility. I was simply trying to clarify the information about NHTSA since it seemed to waffle between vehicle and car. To me a vehicle is anything with an engine of some sort. At least I don't think of a bicycle as a vehicle although I guess it is, sort of. I will have to look up the definition of vehicle - some other time. LOL :) Z

I completely agree the NHTSA's use of the word 'vehicle' is very confusing. To resolve several of these questions I have actually had to look up and read through the actual NHTSA FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Whatever FMVSS rule # applies to any situation will specifically list the type of vehicles covered under that rule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom