• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, there aren't already torpedo tubes? That's it. I'm out. Anyone want an Elio? Number 3898 is now up for sale!

(That's humor, right there... I'm not giving up my Elio torpedo tubes or no torpedo tubes! Besides, Paul said the aftermarket would make anything and everything I can think of for my Elio.
As long as I can mount my 20MM in the front, maybe room for twin, one on each side, and a remote mounted quad 50 on the roof I am happy. I was thinking that the 20's could be covered with a blister to protect them from the elements (and BATFE) until needed, and the 50's could be in a blister in the top, then raised up to fire (this way there would be a practical use for the all-around cameras). Now it really would be a Batmobile.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as I can mount my 20MM in the front, maybe room for twin, one on each side, and a remote mounted quad 50 on the roof I am happy. I was thinking that the 20's could be covered with a blister to protect them from the elements (and BATFE) until needed, and the 50's could be in a blister in the top, then raised up to fire. This way it really would be a Batmobile.
20MM... I worked on those in the F-15. they were fast shooters but skipped rounds when the pilot let off the trigger. Downloading the spent rounds, you could count how many bursts the pilot put out by counting the groups of full rounds. It seems they would skip 20 or 30 before the drum could stop spinning. The A-10's 30MM on the other hand would back up to the last unfired round. When we downloaded spent rounds, there were never any live rounds left over. Besides, whatever that 30MM hit stayed hit!

fpelsdca

Elio Addict
Reaction score
20MM... I worked on those in the F-15. they were fast shooters but skipped rounds when the pilot let off the trigger. Downloading the spent rounds, you could count how many bursts the pilot put out by counting the groups of full rounds. It seems they would skip 20 or 30 before the drum could stop spinning. The A-10's 30MM on the other hand would back up to the last unfired round. When we downloaded spent rounds, there were never any live rounds left over. Besides, whatever that 30MM hit stayed hit!
You make a good point, lets change our option order to read "30MM" instead of "20MM". We could then call our modified Elio the E-10 Ground Hog.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you for a person standing in the back, however, how about a small child or a small object. A rear camera would be a good feature.
You can always hide SOMETHING behind you, even with a rearview mirror on a standard vehicle. Heck, even on a motorcycle you can back into something if you ain't looking. I drive big vehicles all the time with no back window, and I find backup cams to be useless. They could alert you if someone managed to sneak behind you while you weren't paying attention, but thats about it since they don't give you adequate reference points for piloting in reverse. Biggest problem ive seen with them though is once the camera lens gets dirty, which is all the time, the things are useless.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You can always hide SOMETHING behind you, even with a rearview mirror on a standard vehicle. Heck, even on a motorcycle you can back into something if you ain't looking. I drive big vehicles all the time with no back window, and I find backup cams to be useless. They could alert you if someone managed to sneak behind you while you weren't paying attention, but thats about it since they don't give you adequate reference points for piloting in reverse. Biggest problem ive seen with them though is once the camera lens gets dirty, which is all the time, the things are useless.
Mine has guide lines and differing levels of warning to include that ever faster beeping as you approach an object. Even if I'm not looking at it, it has saved me from knocking over a hidden trash can through it's audible warning.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Mine has guide lines and differing levels of warning to include that ever faster beeping as you approach an object. Even if I'm not looking at it, it has saved me from knocking over a hidden trash can through it's audible warning.
Thats not just a camera then, it also has a doppler object detection system. Actually, I think I would opt for the detection system over the camera every time. If by some chance i missed noticing something behind me then there would be a warning to pay attention, or check it out. I think its been established there isnt much of a blind spot to worry about, so the bigger issue remains inattention, and i think we've all been guilty of that at some point.
Ditch the camera for a decent object detection system.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You make a good point, lets change our option order to read "30MM" instead of "20MM". We could then call our modified Elio the E-10 Ground Hog.
Great nickname for the first Elio model, the groundhog. 'Cept if that 30mm badboy can slow down an A-10 in flight, imagine what it'd do to an Elio. That is, even if the gun wasn,t bigger than the car.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems that most of the concern is about objects in the center rear blind spot while backing up.
So...

I've got it!
A small fish-eye mirror similar to, but more stylish than, those on large step-vans.
Unlike the step-vans, you wouldn't want it in the wind all the time ruining the aerodynamics.
Have it tuck into a molded indent cavity in the rear or roof area of body of the vehicle.
It could lay down flat and be flush with the body surface being no more conspicuous than the fuel door.
Of course EM would have to include this in the body molding.
Install a simple and inexpensive spring release and retrieve cable system.
Pull the trigger to "release" the mirror and it softly pops into position at full staff.
Have some sort of mechanism that will allow you to "reel in" and re-lock the cable in the "away" position.
Yep, somewhat similar to that picture of the VW mirror that someone posted.
EM is all into using existing but updated tech right?

It may sound a bit out there, but with the right effort, it could look good, work even better and cost very little.
Other than that VW, I've never seen it done before. Thinking outside the box right?

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems that most of the concern is about objects in the center rear blind spot while backing up.
So...

I've got it!
A small fish-eye mirror similar to, but more stylish than, those on large step-vans.
Unlike the step-vans, you wouldn't want it in the wind all the time ruining the aerodynamics.
Have it tuck into a molded indent cavity in the rear or roof area of body of the vehicle.
It could lay down flat and be flush with the body surface being no more conspicuous than the fuel door.
Of course EM would have to include this in the body molding.
Install a simple and inexpensive spring release and retrieve cable system.
Pull the trigger to "release" the mirror and it softly pops into position at full staff.
Have some sort of mechanism that will allow you to "reel in" and re-lock the cable in the "away" position.
Yep, somewhat similar to that picture of the VW mirror that someone posted.
EM is all into using existing but updated tech right?

It may sound a bit out there, but with the right effort, it could look good, work even better and cost very little.
Other than that VW, I've never seen it done before. Thinking outside the box right?

How about a "pop up" built into the roof, right over the drivers seat? Kind of like a pop up headlight, only facing the rear and with a convex mirror. It could be motorized and activated when the car is put in reverse.......or I might just wait until I get my Elio, and decide it's not really needed. I might like the "radar system" tho.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thats not just a camera then, it also has a doppler object detection system. Actually, I think I would opt for the detection system over the camera every time. If by some chance i missed noticing something behind me then there would be a warning to pay attention, or check it out. I think its been established there isnt much of a blind spot to worry about, so the bigger issue remains inattention, and i think we've all been guilty of that at some point.
Ditch the camera for a decent object detection system.
True. Good point.

Top Bottom