• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have communicated with Elio on this topic and they indicate that they are seriously considering adding a window to the trunk lid. We'll know when the next prototype appears January, '14. It is definitely going to add weight, but they could do it in lexan or another strong plastic.

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there a need for power steering or due to suspension and light weight is it not necessary? Combat pilots will recall the rear view mirrow on top of canopy to check your six so Jerry doesn"t put a few slugs up your tailpipe!

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
From 1968 to 1974, I had a SAAB Sonett II that weighed 1260 lbs, front wheel drive, much shorter wheelbase (85"), but larger engine, No power steering or power brakes. The feel was perfect. Only at very low speed, like under 1mph was the steering a tiny heavy (considering it had a 2.25 lock-to-lock rack and a small steering wheel), but direct. Power steering would have, actually, ruined the driver-road connection/feel in such a light car. The Elio is a bit lighter in the front due to a smaller engine. It should have no need for power steering.

Remember, combat pilots did not have side mirrors. I think that a rear window with a small mirror is going to happen to assuage the fear of some drivers of driving blind although the side mirrors will easily cover the rear view requirement.

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
http://www.elioowners.com/index.php?threads/right-side-no-door.117/#post-901
See some pics on this post... also you can even purchase rear view cameras that are wireless some are bluetooth. I even saw one that the monitor looks like an internal rear view mirror and reverses the picture so the view is like one would see in the mirror ... so lots of options if you really want or need

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again , make this add on stuff after market supplied or the Elio will be a $10,000 vehicle just to satisfy the few! RB

R

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just noticed that the second picture in the Elio blog shows an opening in the rear that could possibly be for the rear window.

Top Bottom