• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think it's an idea whose time has come. Of course there is an issue with the lifespan of electronics, while mirrors (barring accident) are simple devices and will survive the life of the car. Chip cameras and LCD screens are relatively cheap - at least for the level of resolution required for the job, but I'm still concerned about their performance in low light.

Electronic cameras do not handle shifts in light levels well; they're nowhere as adaptable as the amazing human eye, especially to variable light. Automatic Gain Control circuits - even auto-iris features - respond rather slowly, producing either a washout or gloom when struck by light. They never seem to get the exposure quite right, usually overshooting the target at every opportunity. (Thankfully, one of my volunteer jobs depends on riding herd on seven broadcast cameras on weekends, manually riding colors and exposures that even a $75K digital HD camera can't manage.) Sensors, processing software, and robotic controls are pretty much at a loss for this - handling changing situations on the fly just isn't in their wheelhouse.

But I do acknowledge the aero-advantages of putting a tiny camera on a short stalk to monitor what's going on behind you. They offer not only aerodynamic superiority over mirrors, but because their monitors can be placed more central to the driver's line of sight, they should provide additional safety in operation as well. Now the problem becomes locating the monitors - and justifying the additional cost. For a Tesla at nearly $100K, burying the cost of two good cameras and a couple of monitors in the sticker price is pretty easy - for a $7K Elio, not so much.
dont-no-smiley.gif

Top Bottom