• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

No Rear Window / Rear View Camera

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is because being in the middle of a narrow vehicle you only get to see ... well a headrest... and here is what you see with side mirrors[Broken External Image]
I replied to this older post, posted12.20.12 by RickDeckard, for the drawing of the view using the side mirrors. Some have expressed concern over the fact we will have no rear window nor review mirror.

Two, 'What If', possible solutions come to mind.

1) Move the existing side mirrors up near the top, leading edge, of the side windows. I know you would have to work out he angles. This would need a little getting use to, no more head movement than the original position.This would/could eliminate more of the blind spot behind the body.

2) If you op for a sun roof and it is mounted directly behind the windshield, mount a panoramic mirror in a shroud, similar to a third brake lite on some convertibles. Place it at/near the center of the front edge of the sun roof, on top of course. Then trash the side mirrors. The frontal area ,drag, of this shroud would be the same, or less, than the side mirrors.

BTW, in an earlier post, someone had some of these third brake lite units offered for Free.

'Some see things as they are and Wonder, Why? I see things that have Never Been and Wonder, Why Not?'

(Saw that on a R&D engineers desk a long time ago)

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please tell me how you will be able to see ANYTHING through the rear seat, headrest, or rear passenger..... any 'rear window' or inside mirror..... would be of NO USE! Only with NO passenger, AND the rear seat folded down.... would there be a view.... Not visible with a center mounted rearview mirror (only see YOUR face). Much more 'useable', would be an OPTIONAL rear video cam (which they plan to offer).

Attachments

• 0-Rear-Interior.jpg
    0-Rear-Interior.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 232
  • 0-Elio-Motors-Interior-shot15.jpg
    0-Elio-Motors-Interior-shot15.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

hippazoid

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK... Skimming through this thread, I've not seen it mentioned but I may have missed it:

I've never seen/ridden a motorcycle with a rear view mirror. Always, side mirrors.

I see that creepy guy behind the wheel enough, as is. I don't need to be staring at him while I'm driving my Elio. :p

Hipp

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK... Skimming through this thread, I've not seen it mentioned but I may have missed it:

I've never seen/ridden a motorcycle with a rear view mirror. Always, side mirrors.

I see that creepy guy behind the wheel enough, as is. I don't need to be staring at him while I'm driving my Elio. :p

Hipp
Hey Hipp. You're correct. Semi trucks, box trucks, and some flat beds don't have rear view mirrors on the wind shield. I drove a box truck for many years with only outside rear view mirrors AND blind spot mirrors with no problems. That set up works for professional drivers every day. Matter of fact, I always put blind spot mirrors on any vehicle I have. Without them, I almost feel naked on the road after my time in that truck. Kinda like doing a wallet check, (you know, like when you just brush your hand across your rear pocket to make sure you feel your wallet) and you feel an empty pocket!:eek:

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you don't hide a radar detector fast enough you can be hit with a multi-thousand dollar fine in some areas. I prefer to use Waze with people reporting speed traps as they pass them and being displayed to everyone else. On the interstates there's a wazer passing every point every ten minutes or less and so is reasonably good for this.

I was just reading these posts for the first time today, and saw the mention of Waze. I added it to my cell about 6 months ago, though I've only used it once, while traveling in Seattle and headed up north from there. I was impressed with how much info you get, with all the posted comments about the local fuzz, traffic slow downs, etc...I'll be using it more often, especially since I added a bluetooth com system to my bike helmet.

NOW: Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I replied to this older post, posted12.20.12 by RickDeckard, for the drawing of the view using the side mirrors. Some have expressed concern over the fact we will have no rear window nor review mirror.

Two, 'What If', possible solutions come to mind.

1) Move the existing side mirrors up near the top, leading edge, of the side windows. I know you would have to work out he angles. This would need a little getting use to, no more head movement than the original position.This would/could eliminate more of the blind spot behind the body.

2) If you op for a sun roof and it is mounted directly behind the windshield, mount a panoramic mirror in a shroud, similar to a third brake lite on some convertibles. Place it at/near the center of the front edge of the sun roof, on top of course. Then trash the side mirrors. The frontal area ,drag, of this shroud would be the same, or less, than the side mirrors.

BTW, in an earlier post, someone had some of these third brake lite units offered for Free.

'Some see things as they are and Wonder, Why? I see things that have Never Been and Wonder, Why Not?'

(Saw that on a R&D engineers desk a long time ago)

Just getting caught up on this thread. Guess we all struggle with adapting the familiar (rear view mirrors, backup cameras, rear windows, etc.) to the unfamiliar (Elio's design parameters and its almost non-existent blind spot). We may be imagining problems that don't exist. Not that that will stop the aftermarket to catering to those desires/fears. My approach will be to drive it for a week, and if I haven't adapted, then look into these accessories.

The last statement made in the prior post was the quote on the R&D engineer's desk. It was actually a paraphrase of a Robert Kennedy quote that I saw on a bank VP's office wall many years ago:
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? Kennedy also made several other statements that reflect on what Paul Elio is doing:
[URL='http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertkenn164049.html']It is not enough to understand, or to see clearly. The future will be shaped in the arena of human activity, by those willing to commit their minds and their bodies to the task.

And for those believing that past failures breed future successes:
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. And lastly, a reminder of the risks ahead:
[URL='http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertkenn138515.html']Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.
[/URL]

[/URL]

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just getting caught up on this thread. Guess we all struggle with adapting the familiar (rear view mirrors, backup cameras, rear windows, etc.) to the unfamiliar (Elio's design parameters and its almost non-existent blind spot). We may be imagining problems that don't exist. Not that that will stop the aftermarket to catering to those desires/fears. My approach will be to drive it for a week, and if I haven't adapted, then look into these accessories.

The last statement made in the prior post was the quote on the R&D engineer's desk. It was actually a paraphrase of a Robert Kennedy quote that I saw on a bank VP's office wall many years ago:
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? Kennedy also made several other statements that reflect on what Paul Elio is doing:
It is not enough to understand, or to see clearly. The future will be shaped in the arena of human activity, by those willing to commit their minds and their bodies to the task.
And for those believing that past failures breed future successes:
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. And lastly, a reminder of the risks ahead:
Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/r/robertkenn121273.html
Excellent selection of quotes. Thanks for sharing them. :-) Z

Top Bottom