• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Odds & Ends And All Things That Don't Fit Anything Else

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It might work but highly unlikely for the Elio as Liquid Piston only has a 6,000 square foot facility. At best they could only make about two engines a week. They would need an engine factory to be able to supply Elio. Still, it's a nice idea.
Its an R&D company. Not a manufacturer. I've met them before at SAE conferences. There are about 4 other companies that are trying to do the same thing. The downfall is that EV's are killing the alternate engine market. In addition to that, these engines are more or less, great for steady state operation and not so great for something in a car. What these companies are banking on, are military and DOE contracts. Military for power generation and DOE for power generation from trash dumps and oil refineries. They are not 100% of the way there and thus why they need grants and funding to get it to a low volume production.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting article about Volkswagon. Looks like there may be significant Tesla competition soon.

VW's new EV passes 10K orders in 24 hours
May 10, 2019 3:19 AM ET|About: Volkswagen AG ADR (VWAGY)|By: Yoel Minkoff, SA News Editor
Volkswagen (OTCPK:VWAGY) has claimed that pre-orders for its ID.3 electric hatchback surpassed 10,000 cars in just 24 hours.

The entry-level car will cost less than €30,000 euros, with deliveries in Europe slated for the middle of 2020.

It's called the ID.3 after VW's third major historic evolution and will officially launch this September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting article about Volkswagon. Looks like there may be significant Tesla competition soon.

VW's new EV passes 10K orders in 24 hours
May 10, 2019 3:19 AM ET|About: Volkswagen AG ADR (VWAGY)|By: Yoel Minkoff, SA News Editor
Volkswagen (OTCPK:VWAGY) has claimed that pre-orders for its ID.3 electric hatchback surpassed 10,000 cars in just 24 hours.

The entry-level car will cost less than €30,000 euros, with deliveries in Europe slated for the middle of 2020.

It's called the ID.3 after VW's third major historic evolution and will officially launch this September at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
Also, VW will spend $800M to expand the Chattanooga, TN plant and add 1000 American jobs by 2020 to build the ID Crozz.
https://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/vw-will-build-electric-cars-tennessee

VW to spend $2B in America over the next 10 years to electrify America due to the TDI scandal.
https://autoweek.com/article/technology/volkswagens-plan-electrify-america

VW's plan for America:
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan

It would be safe to say that Tesla has got some competition coming and that's just what they wanted. With getting these companies battling it out, it'll only make EV's better and cheaper.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok I found a "different" site today that has all kinds of different vehicles

Some way to cool, others eeeehhhh need work, and some are real head scratchers.
But over all, some are pretty cool. Enjoy.
Electric cars are a dead end. Until they find a source of electricity that is clean (such as Nikola Tesla's free electricity), all they are doing is changing the location of the pollution from the automobile to the electricity generation plant.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric cars are a dead end. Until they find a source of electricity that is clean (such as Nikola Tesla's free electricity), all they are doing is changing the location of the pollution from the automobile to the electricity generation plant.
Teslas free energy does not exist, so forget about that. In the end, we have geothermal, solar, wind and hydro. There are a few others but as of today, not realistic. Electric cars have a future and it's the way it's going no matter how many fight it with erroneous claims.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the hydrogen fueled cars.
Got to have people look past the Hindenburg, and look forward.
I think once they have hydrogen refill network electric cars will die.

KD

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Hate to tell you, but hydrogen power is another pipe dream, just like flying cars. Technology is always gonna be here in the next few years. Just like Elio gonna be in production in 76 weeks...

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you, but hydrogen power is another pipe dream, just like flying cars. Technology is always gonna be here in the next few years. Just like Elio gonna be in production in 76 weeks...
Too true, but you have to have a dream, otherwise, life is boring.
Got to keep on keepin on.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In our area there's a company called Air Products. They are the worlds largest supplier for Hydrogen. For a long time they had been working with GM, Ford and BMW for Hydrogen powered cars. On their campus the CEO had a Hydrogen powered 7 series BMW, they had two Hydrogen powered Busses and then a few Hydrogen powered Equinox's. Thy even developed a refilling station for them. My neighbor had the Equinox once in a while (they let employees use it). It was different than the BMW and Ford Bus. It was electric and the Hydrogen provided the electric for the motor. It would go 80 miles on a tank and had an exhaust pipe that emitted water vapor.

The Ford Bus and BMW has regular gas engines but with a different intake manifold and injectors. Then they both had three sets of tanks. One for about 2K psi, next one knocked down to 500 psi then the third down to 50 psi. That fed the injectors. Other than that, they drove like a regular car.

Air Products sold that part of the business (like they did many others) and I don't know what happened to all of those cars and refueling station. I did drive the Equinox and it was interesting because it drove like a regular EV but that water vapor exhaust sounded like a vent on a gas burning stove. As for where the Hydrogen came from, it was from natural gas. That was the only way they can produce the volume the needed for a national network. On the other hand, they can get Hydrogen just from the regular air we breathe but the volume is a major problem right now. As for safety, they were so over engineered that they were much safer than a gasoline car. I do know the overall goal was to just use compressed air in the car, then have it strip away the Hydrogen and expel the rest. That would solve the Hindenburg issue. There's tons of potential in it and I do know that BMW and Toyota are investing into it heavily.

Top Bottom