• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm done with our 2+ year old portable smoker/grill .... to put it simply, its broke and I can't fix it .... so, I'm once again looking for a portable smoke/grill to use both while we are traveling/camping and while at home .... I'm pretty well limiting our search to pellet grills .... we have a large Masterbuilt smoker that we can use while at home .... we have a wide variety of portable cooking systems we have used while we are on the road .... consequently we are under no sense of urgency to find one .... I've already learned that there has been an impressive number of advances in this type of portable smoker/ grills .... in fact, I will not be surprised if the search takes a matter of months .... from early reading and watching a few YouTube videos I've been impressed with the Green Mountain Davy Crockett Portable Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill ====> https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountai...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi .... it has a most impressive 4.5 out of a 5 star rating based on 1,726 ratings .... suggestions with links and personal observations would be appreciated

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
earlier today we stopped by a Patio and Spa shop that sells several brands of pellet grills/smokers .... some I am familiar with, some not .... in camping size units they had an Asmoke, a Davy Crockett Trek, a small Pit Box and a couple of others that I've never heard of ... they didn't have a Davy Crockett like the one we are considering and don't expect to have some in any time soon .... we are still very early in our search and learned a few things that helped .... most helpful to us is knowing that if we get a Davy Crockett it will fit in our camper's storage area

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have had a campchef Pellet smoker and it’s has been great the last 4 years it lives outside in the cold northeastern utah winters mostly covered by a campchef cover. I really like the ability to pull a lever and dump the ashes(ash clean out) easily after each use. My brother in law had I think a green mountain that he couldn’t dump the ashes without disassembly and the fan gave out after two years. I searched portable smoker on campchef.com and they make a smoker under the model name “portable” that looks like a nice unit and has some neat features. I also like campchef pellets I have used cherry, mesquite, apple, and competition blend, although they have a few others as well. I also have several co workers that have had great luck with these pellet grills.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I searched portable smoker on campchef.com and they make a smoker under the model name “portable” that looks like a nice unit and has some neat features.
thanks again for bringing the Campchef camping smoker to our attention .... I've just spent over an hour reading and watching YouTube videos about it and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so .... as you noted, it has a long list of really nice features .... I really like the legs that allow it to be moved like a two wheel dolly .... sadly, with WiFi controls its priced about $250 higher than the other smokers we are considering

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
fascinating smoker that I can see working well while camping under circumstances where you really need a compact smoker .... I did manage to fine a YouTube positive video about it
.... thanks for posting about it

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
our search for a replacement portable smoker/grill continues .... we've come across one most interesting accessory .... that being on that turns a Green Mountain Davy Crockett smoker grill into a pizza oven .... the best price I've found is on one from ebay where they say “THIS LISTING IS FOR OPEN BOX AT A REDUCED PRICE. Units May Have Cosmetic Flaws or Show Signs of Use. We guarantee 100% working order.”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2836829469...84ad7275111b769ce6f679bfbbb1#vi-desc-maincntr
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2836829469...84ad7275111b769ce6f679bfbbb1#vi-desc-maincntr
cosmetic flaws on a gizmo that will be tucked inside a grill/smoker don't bother me at all

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
we all know what is said about Opinions ..
3.gif
.. I have no clue as to the validity of the ranking given in this video entitled "Top 5 Best Pellet Smokers 2021 - Buyer’s Guide" ====>
..... what I do know is all 5 of the grills featured in the video are commonly considered to be fine units from good companies ....

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just received the following note with pictures from a friend who has one of the Green Mountain Davy Crockett smokers like we are considering .... I'd never thought of doing this and am looking forward to giving it a try :

"I also like to buy a couple of Costco's rotisserie chickens and put them in the GMG pellet gill with two smoke tubes and grill temp set to 150 degrees and let them go about two or three hours. It will not dry them out and they are already safely cooked at Costco so no worry about uncooked chicken. Soon as you take them off the smoker wrap them tightly in saran wrap and it really keeps the flavor in. Monte Cristo sandwich with smoked chicken can't be beat!"

Note : having never heard of a Monte Cristo sandwich, I had to look it up .... sounds interesting and very much worth trying :cool2:

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 102
  • chicken 2.jpg
    chicken 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Top Bottom