• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It'll be interesting how the 12V option works. Since you can buy some pretty elaborate 12V jump boxes, it would be nice to hook up the jump box to the smoker and then park the smoker somewhere on the campsite (as we all know, right next to the RV might not be the best place). On the other hand, the smell of the smoking going on, might require you to put a lock on it and chain it to a tree to keep the beef bandits from coming over and taking what you got in there.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
my plan is to make 3 mods/upgrades to this smoker .... the first will be changing the 12V cigarette lighter plugs .... over the years I've found that when heavily used, in time, the tend to give me trouble .... years ago I stocked up on plugs like the ones in this link ===> https://www.amazon.com/Xaugiry-Weatherproof-Sidewall-Connector-Extension/dp/B08MZCHJ6R/ref=sr_1_16?crid=297KBS1IV70T5&keywords=12v+plug+connector&qid=1651418536&sprefix=12v+plug,aps,91&sr=8-16&th=1 .... I still have more than enough to use on the smoker wiring .... when traveling in our camper we seldom setup the grill until we get to a destination where we plan to stay for a while .... below is a picture of our cooking setup last summer while camped for most of 3 months in Estelline, SD .... this year our setup will be similar but we will set our new smoker on a different table .... we plan to head back out there at the end of May

Attachments

• 210718 001 Frogmore 017.jpg
    210718 001 Frogmore 017.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
just got word that the replacement auger assembly has been shipped by FedEx and should be here Friday .... if that proves to be correct, I fully intend to put Davy through his paces this weekend .. :cool:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did those two weeks ago but on the tail end of smoking a brisket. For the brisket, I sliced it up, froze and vacuum packed it. It seems to age quite well and works for a nice quick meal when we are in the RV. I also do the same with wings. We have a local store that sells "party wings" which look like king sized wings (as compared to what restaurants have). Marinate the wings first and then smoke them. They are moist and yummy. Plus vacuum packed in groups of 10 works out as a quick snack. As you can tell, I like my vacuum packer.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
as seems to have become the norm with FedEx, their shipment tracking is pathetic at best ... it shows our order departed the FedEx location in Troutdale, OR a 4:16PM on Friday, April 29, 2022 .... as this is being typed it is 9AM on May 3, 2022 and nothing else is shown on their tracking .... oh well, at least we know it's on the way

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I did those two weeks ago but on the tail end of smoking a brisket. For the brisket, I sliced it up, froze and vacuum packed it. It seems to age quite well and works for a nice quick meal when we are in the RV. I also do the same with wings. We have a local store that sells "party wings" which look like king sized wings (as compared to what restaurants have). Marinate the wings first and then smoke them. They are moist and yummy. Plus vacuum packed in groups of 10 works out as a quick snack. As you can tell, I like my vacuum packer.
I vacuum seal baby backs, brisket, and pork butt and Sous Vide cook it with my Anova. I freeze a bag or 2 for future use and oven finish a bag or 2 in the oven for immediate enjoyment. Much easier than setting up a smoker. if done properly, sous vide cooked pork as good or better……cooked to moist, tender, juicy, and smoke flavored perfection, each and every time. :)

1651594580870.jpeg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
another day has passed, still no shipping update from FedEx .... they still say they will deliver our order day after tomorrow

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I vacuum seal baby backs, brisket, and pork butt and Sous Vide cook it with my Anova. I freeze a bag or 2 for future use and oven finish a bag or 2 in the oven for immediate enjoyment. Much easier than setting up a smoker. if done properly, sous vide cooked pork as good or better……cooked to moist, tender, juicy, and smoke flavored perfection, each and every time. :)

View attachment 25677
It's handy for when I go in the RV. A while back, I took ribs that I had done a few months ago and took out one of the bags and set them on a tree stump to defrost. Threw them afterwards on the Blackstone for a few minutes and has that part of a meal. I honestly think it's better than right off the smoker.

Top Bottom