• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aknaten--Actually cruise is fairly common on manual transmission cars. The only thing you need to be aware of is to not allow the cruise to lug the engine in hilly terrain since theres no kickdown as with an automatic. Most cruise control systems used with manuals are designed to automatically disconnect if the rpm starts to get low at the same time as manifold pressure gets high.

BillJ

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If they do a cruise control on the Elio, I hope it has the option of regular cruise, that will hold a set speed, and a second option that will hold a throttle position. The throttle position cruise will yield higher mileage in the long run, as everytime a regular cruise control changes the throttle position, you lose fuel economy. Having the option to just hold a throttle position will work best for long haul driving where you don't need to hold a speed, and when you want to put fuel efficiency above staying at a set speed, while still allowing you to take your foot off the gas and relax as you drive.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Billj--I have throttle lock type cruise control on several of my motorcycles. They're good for resting your hand for a minute. If you're trying to maintain speed limit you end up speeding down hill and getting in everyone's way uphill. MPH holding electronic cruise is the way to go. The decrease in mileage on a vehicle that runs as lean as a popcorn fart is inconsequential. Set the cruise enjoy the ride.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they do a cruise control on the Elio, I hope it has the option of regular cruise, that will hold a set speed, and a second option that will hold a throttle position. The throttle position cruise will yield higher mileage in the long run, as everytime a regular cruise control changes the throttle position, you lose fuel economy. Having the option to just hold a throttle position will work best for long haul driving where you don't need to hold a speed, and when you want to put fuel efficiency above staying at a set speed, while still allowing you to take your foot off the gas and relax as you drive.

Gotta agree with skygazer6033, a throttle position cruise is fine if you live in Kansas, or eastern Colorado, but in my neck of the woods (beginning of the Ozark Mountains) level stretches of road, including the highways, are few and far between. I'm hoping that the Elio has enough torque to hold 65 mph up Antire Hill (6% grade and about a mile long) without me having to be doing 100 mph at the bottom to make it up. That said, I had a '70 VW Bug...nearly twice the wieght of the Elio, and only around 50 hp (if I recall correctly). The Elio should be fine!

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
For a commuter, especially a highway driver, the cruise is a necessity as opposed to a nicety. I mainly drive back roads on my 32 mile (each way) drive directly to & from work. There are quite a few stretches where I'll be limited to either 45 or 55 MPH and the ability to set the cruise and roll has prevented me from attracting tickets due to my desire to "get there"! With the cruise set, I relax and let the vehicle do it's thing instead of pressing that pedal just a little bit further during my inattentive moments.

wayne kemp

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gone Fishing.jpg

How about a boat (or bike) carrier.

NN4S

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I installed an aftermarket unit on a 5 speed Mustang back in 1982, so I'm sure that what is available on the market now is likely to be better engineered and likely even less expensive despite inflation. I'd rather not have to add one, but I'm not above doing so if the price is right! I will need to have it installed and working fro the trip home from the factory, though.

pablotech1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoiler and Radio antenna.... These would be some of the coolest body accessories, anyone know about these as options? I searched and came up with nothing. An Elio with a narrow rear spoiler to match the with of the car and a color matching antenna fin would look amazing in my opinion...

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing upgrades dicussion thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom