• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Very Nice Tinybeetle! Might make sure you put a disclaimer on it,that it is not official. It looks so good, that some might start taking it as Gospel on the other sites! :)

One note I believe the Elgin Watch Display could end up as standard, not optional.
Lord have Mercy. That thing is a disaster just waiting to happen!

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those windows can be read if one id sitting still or the display is static. If you don't intend to drive your Elio any faster than a minute hand on a watch moves you will do just fine, If however you decide you want to shift at 5200 RPM you will have a serious problem reading that value through a little window. With a standard DIAL TYPE SPEEDO if you can see the needle relative to the 12 o'clock position you have a pretty good idea as to how fast you are going. Trying to see moving numbers within that little window is going to be a great deal more problematic. I think the NHTSA ought to have a look at this and make a ruling before 40,000 of them are ordered and possibly have to be scraped.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
3. The instrument cluster that will be used in production is Paul's Elgin design. It is however digital with perhaps 1-1.25" high numbers for speedometer and tach. It is unknown at this time if there would be any other instrument options. I did remind him that Continental, the company providing the optional smartphone interface makes 5 levels of digital instrument clusters.

Post #1
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/oklahoma-city-elio-or-what-i-learned-in-school-today.1191/

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those windows can be read if one id sitting still or the display is static. If you don't intend to drive your Elio any faster than a minute hand on a watch moves you will do just fine, If however you decide you want to shift at 5200 RPM you will have a serious problem reading that value through a little window. With a standard DIAL TYPE SPEEDO if you can see the needle relative to the 12 o'clock position you have a pretty good idea as to how fast you are going. Trying to see moving numbers within that little window is going to be a great deal more problematic. I think the NHTSA ought to have a look at this and make a ruling before 40,000 of them are ordered and possibly have to be scraped.
Is it possible the numbers could be portrayed as 2 digits with the zeros understood? I would assume anyone who understands RPM would know that 52 means 5200 rather than simply 52. Would that kind of display help relieve your angst? I don't pay a lot of attention to the RPM on my Camry so am not sure what the range of numbers is but they do seem to be larger rather than smaller numbers. Just a thought offered with a smile. :-) Z

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hay, I don't give a sh-t about no watch dash, I was just going with the conversation.
The dash I want is the dash out of my Sonic and if I can switch it out with no problem I will give it a shot.o_O

Top Bottom