• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would just do a simple single DIN radio like Lil4X recommends, but I use a GPS app every day for work and I have to say stand alone GPS units are completely unneeded now a days. I know they are more intricate with the mapping details, but it's not rocket science. In fact many times when I'm doing a quick trip I input the destination via voice command and then listen to the voice commands through my bluetooth head set without ever looking at the screen. Simple and easy. I also use my phone with Podcasts, Audiobooks, iTunes and Pandora. Simple bluetooth capable stereo and a phone, DONE!

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would just do a simple single DIN radio like Lil4X recommends, but I use a GPS app every day for work and I have to say stand alone GPS units are completely unneeded now a days. I know they are more intricate with the mapping details, but it's not rocket science. In fact many times when I'm doing a quick trip I input the destination via voice command and then listen to the voice commands through my bluetooth head set without ever looking at the screen. Simple and easy. I also use my phone with Podcasts, Audiobooks, iTunes and Pandora. Simple bluetooth capable stereo and a phone, DONE!
Unfortunately, I am a dinosaur and have a very simple low-cost cell PHONE. I do not text or access the internet from my cellphone and am unwilling to pay the extra costs of an advance cellphone just so I can drive and enjoy my vehicle. Make it part of the vehicle and not some second party cellphone app

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey! I just thought of this... I may take a bluetooth camera and face it to the front... Then, a headrest video monitor for the rear passenger so that they can see where we are going without having to crane around my seat. It would be like they were in the front seat looking out the windshield. That can't be that hard to do.

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am a dinosaur and have a very simple low-cost cell PHONE. I do not text or access the internet from my cellphone and am unwilling to pay the extra costs of an advance cellphone just so I can drive and enjoy my vehicle. Make it part of the vehicle and not some second party cellphone app
Stone age Jim? You're not going opt for and Elio without a floorboard are you? You're missing out Jim. For me, having GPS and entertainment on my phone means that any car I drive is now equipped with what I need. My motorhome, Jeep, car, work truck and on business trips a rental car. It's always with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stone age Jim? You're not going opt for and Elio without a floorboard are you? You're missing out Jim. For me, having GPS and entertainment on my phone means that any car I drive is now equipped with what I need. My motorhome, Jeep, car, work truck and on business trips a rental car. It's always with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim's current car????
112354.jpg

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My concern with using my smartphone as a communication device, entertainment center, and navigation instrument is that I'd be spending more time poking at the phone than looking out the windshield. With separate devices, I can listen to the radio or my Pandora account with the title and artist displayed on the radio screen; the bluetooth connection to my phone can take voice commands to place and receive calls, and the GPS mounted in the right corner of the windshield tells me whether I'm still on course and how I need to move to avoid traffic ahead. Now I know most GPS units offer voice directions, but that yammering voice repeating the obvious to me every few seconds drives me crazy. OTOH, my wife loves that feature. What can I say? I just switch "Suzie" off.

Talk about distracted driving . . . :eek:

Top Bottom