• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Other Technologies That Will Need To Adapt

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It won't, my point is that Cooper doesn't have a suitable tire in their inventory. It now appears that they are willing to develop tires specifically for the Elio, which is a considerable win-win for all of us.

Wider than necessary tires means less pressure loading and increased frontal area (aero drag). On this car, tire rolling resistance is going to be a substantial part of the total drag and fuel consumption factor. I hope Cooper is working hard to get the right balance of Crr and 'right-size' the tires.

Please, no Mc-Supersized tires for me.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a very simple solution to a frequently asked question and it involved no new technology just a little thinking. This photo and caption were posted on Facebook this morning by Joel Sheltrown, Elio Motors VP for Government Affairs.

Every once in a while, some one will say: "How would you change the oil in an Elio?" This is the P3 getting serviced at Quaker State location in West Branch where they just had me pull in the opposite end. Biggest problem you'll have is having to wait for the employees to get their picture taken.
[Broken External Image]

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the next 14 months....with the billions of dollars being promised by the Obama administration, here is some new ones.

you tube FTV chronology of the evaro
you tube evaro highlighted in driving television 2009 135 mpg...0-60 5 second+ and 1.7g's.
you tube zap alias...what a front wheel drive elio should look like with a smaller rear wheel.
you tube tri magnum...excitement on 3 wheels, what the 1st generation elio should have been!

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It won't, my point is that Cooper doesn't have a suitable tire in their inventory. It now appears that they are willing to develop tires specifically for the Elio, which is a considerable win-win for all of us.
Actually Cooper have a 185/55R15, 185/60R15, and 195/60R15. All currently for sale in the UK market for smaller cars all have a load and speed rating sufficient for the elio. They also have 3 tire manufacturing facilities here in the states, so it shouldn't be overly hard to add an existing(and already tested) size from the UK line to one of the american manufacturing plants for distribution here. :)

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually Cooper have a 185/55R15, 185/60R15, and 195/60R15. All currently for sale in the UK market for smaller cars all have a load and speed rating sufficient for the elio. They also have 3 tire manufacturing facilities here in the states, so it shouldn't be overly hard to add an existing(and already tested) size from the UK line to one of the american manufacturing plants for distribution here. :)

All 3 are cartoonishly and absurdly wide for a 1200 lb commuter car. These tires listed are usually specified for a 2750-3250 lb car.

For good fuel economy, pressures have to be greater than 40psi or rolling resistance will K.I.L.L. Fuel economy.

A 90mm section width would be overkill!

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cartoonish...hey, an elio comic book..or a tv series....as the elio turns...or the elio list...who really is your daddy?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the next 14 months....with the billions of dollars being promised by the Obama administration, here is some new ones.

you tube FTV chronology of the evaro
you tube evaro highlighted in driving television 2009 135 mpg...0-60 5 second+ and 1.7g's.
you tube zap alias...what a front wheel drive elio should look like with a smaller rear wheel.
you tube tri magnum...excitement on 3 wheels, what the 1st generation elio should have been!

The Evaro...body look familiar? It "was" the ALE' now with electric drivetrain (hybrid). I'm glad something is being done with it. Beautiful body. Kinda ruff going thru the "drive-thru" tho. I'll bet it's pricey.
The ZAP..all electric. Not interested.
The Tri-magnum?...R.Q. Riley's 15 year old "kit" that uses a Goldwing frame & rear suspension? Did I mention It is a "kit"? OOPS, My bad...It is just "plans" no kit.

Top Bottom