• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Others Reaction To The Elio

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a little concerned that the "I'm bigger than you" attitude could make driving the Elio a true concern. There are those out there who are just plain AH's and may show aggressiveness in light of the Elios' size, MPG, etc. I've been pushed around on my scooter before (not for going slow. I am the one normally passing) and without quick reaction time and a place to go you're in big trouble. I haven't seen the Elio in person so maybe my concerns are ill constructed. Anyone else thinking about this?

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That attitude comes through whether you are driving an Elio or a Minicooper or SmartCar. It really will not make much difference, an AH is a AH no matter how you cut it. Same happens on a bike, people tailgate and seem dazed, especially if you need to stop. I always ride with one eye in the rearview in stop and go traffic.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am a little concerned that the "I'm bigger than you" attitude could make driving the Elio a true concern. There are those out there who are just plain AH's and may show aggressiveness in light of the Elios' size, MPG, etc. I've been pushed around on my scooter before (not for going slow. I am the one normally passing) and without quick reaction time and a place to go you're in big trouble. I haven't seen the Elio in person so maybe my concerns are ill constructed. Anyone else thinking about this?
I drove a couple of Miatas for a few years, and my beetle. It's just a factor of having a smaller car. (always be ready for the AH factor) That being said I am sure SUVs can get pressured from dump trucks and semis. I figure, at least for the first couple of years we will at least have the "wow what is that car?!" thing going for us. I had a lot more intimidations in my Miatas than the bug for that reason. I guess they thought the bug was cool so they backed off a little.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: Anyone else thinking about this?

There is, for whatever reason, a general misconception that the Elio is small. Perhaps it stems from the motor cycle designation even-though,technically, it's an 'Autocycle'. Folks still think the Elio is tiny (& the media calling it tiny, doesn't help). That is until they actually sit in one. the pic below shows the Elio's size contrasted with a Caddy CTS, surprise! :D

elio-CTSsmaller.jpg

Last edited:

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove a couple of Miatas for a few years, and my beetle. It's just a factor of having a smaller car. (always be ready for the AH factor) That being said I am sure SUVs can get pressured from dump trucks and semis. I figure, at least for the first couple of years we will at least have the "wow what is that car?!" thing going for us. I had a lot more intimidations in my Miatas than the bug for that reason. I guess they thought the bug was cool so they backed off a little.
I have a 2008 Miata (retractable hard top) and believe it the nicest car I have ever owned. Still has slightly less than 18,000 miles on it. The Miata has the "Cool Factor" without a doubt. Never had a Bug but I'd say the Bug has the "Cute Factor".

I guess an option for the Elio should be a "Directional Short Range EMP Generator" that will render those too close for comfort inoperable.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Miata (retractable hard top) and believe it the nicest car I have ever owned. Still has slightly less than 18,000 miles on it. The Miata has the "Cool Factor" without a doubt. Never had a Bug but I'd say the Bug has the "Cute Factor".

I guess an option for the Elio should be a "Directional Short Range EMP Generator" that will render those too close for comfort inoperable.
So you already are familiar with the "I am bigger then you" attitude, so the Elio might be a step up in that case. In my experience the Miata gets no respect on the open road, similar to when I am on a motorcycle. When you go to races it's a little different (supercharged Miata) I had a lot of fun crushing Mustangs.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are people out there that are just plain blind to anything that doesn't seem to be a threat, like motorcycles, bicycles, smaller vehicles, etc...having additional lights does not seem to get their attention even when you look like a rolling Christmas tree.. The only thing I've found that wakes em up is the loudest horn you can find.. I'm sure there are a few people out there that have had to change their panties after inadvertently cutting me off out on the road. (saying panties doesn't mean just women).. However, the Elio is bigger than the pics lead you to believe and at least for the first year or so will draw enough attention that I don't think you'll have to worry in the slightest about anyone not noticing you.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are people out there that are just plain blind to anything that doesn't seem to be a threat, like motorcycles, bicycles, smaller vehicles, etc...having additional lights does not seem to get their attention even when you look like a rolling Christmas tree.. The only thing I've found that wakes em up is the loudest horn you can find.. I'm sure there are a few people out there that have had to change their panties after inadvertently cutting me off out on the road. (saying panties doesn't mean just women).. However, the Elio is bigger than the pics lead you to believe and at least for the first year or so will draw enough attention that I don't think you'll have to worry in the slightest about anyone not noticing you.
I know the Elio is long, but it's still a small "car" at 1200 Lbs. you aren't going to muscle anyone off the highway, that's why I plan on having this particular option.
1600.jpg

Jayne Shelby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will start looking for the perfect horn now. Great post olddog1946.

Top Bottom