• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Others Reaction To The Elio

g8way2k

Reaction score
That attitude comes through whether you are driving an Elio or a Minicooper or SmartCar. It really will not make much difference, an AH is a AH no matter how you cut it. Same happens on a bike, people tailgate and seem dazed, especially if you need to stop. I always ride with one eye in the rearview in stop and go traffic.

Hi: I'm with ya on keeping an eye on the rearview mirror, which is why I was a tad setback of having no rear window. I keep an eye on the pattern of traffic behind me whenever safe to do so as it can give a head's up as to what I can and can't do, especially in an emergent situation I don't know how many prototypes have been established thus far but it would be nice if a back windshield comes into being. I consider myself somewhat assertive on the road. In my older years however I yield to the aggressive drivers....they can go where they wish.

RogWild

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi: I'm with ya on keeping an eye on the rearview mirror, which is why I was a tad setback of having no rear window. I keep an eye on the pattern of traffic behind me whenever safe to do so as it can give a head's up as to what I can and can't do, especially in an emergent situation I don't know how many prototypes have been established thus far but it would be nice if a back windshield comes into being. I consider myself somewhat assertive on the road. In my older years however I yield to the aggressive drivers....they can go where they wish.
With the current SIDE MIRRORS;.... you can see the shoulders of a person standing DIRECTLY BEHIND THE REAR END of the ELIO...... ie. NO BLIND SPOT (except below waist level, and a 'rear cam' can cover that)!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have actually started using my side view mirrors more as practice for the day I get my Elio. Since I have on occasion traveled with a lot of stuff in my back seat, I find it is not that hard to adjust to no rear view mirror. Of course backing up is a different issue and I have no way to practice that since I currently drive a Camry and it is considerably wider than the Elio. :) Z

Last edited:

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a little concerned that the "I'm bigger than you" attitude could make driving the Elio a true concern. There are those out there who are just plain AH's and may show aggressiveness in light of the Elios' size, MPG, etc. I've been pushed around on my scooter before (not for going slow. I am the one normally passing) and without quick reaction time and a place to go you're in big trouble. I haven't seen the Elio in person so maybe my concerns are ill constructed. Anyone else thinking about this?
I ASSUME that this is exactly what will happen w/Elios. I drive a Prius in the SF Bay Area and even here full size pick ups LOVED to ride my rear bumper and pull s***. Then I got a NRA rear license plate frame for $10 and now they'll ride my bumper for 5 - 10 seconds and then suddenly back off. LOL!

A few weeks ago I looked at the NRA Store's website to see if they offer motorcycle license plate frames (in case the Elio will use those in CA). Unfortunately, they don't.

If anyone else has this problem, here's the link to the NRA automobile license plate frames:
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=13&p=HO 22045-9&ct=e

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

A rear view camera is the only option for anyone wanting a rear view mirror type of view as a rear window in this vehicle would be completely useless and actually a complete waste of money. Even if you fold down the rear seat, which completely blocks any potential rear view, you still can't see straight back because your head is in the way of any mirror and even if you try sitting low the angle is completely wrong to be useful.

This issue is actually very easy to demonstrate as all you need to do is climb into a vehicle with a vanity mirror installed in the sunshade, driver or passenger side as it does not matter for this example, and try to use it as you would a rear view mirror. What you will quickly find out is that it just does not work.

Top Bottom