• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P5

Dallas

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Been thinking a lot about possible upgrades. One that maybe a upgrade or a possible change in the basic design. The door on the Elio opens like any other car. It is designed to open from the side. I would much rather it upen from the bottom up. Like a hatch. Think it would be much more cool !!! What are your ideas on that??
Dallas

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Been thinking a lot about possible upgrades. One that maybe a upgrade or a possible change in the basic design. The door on the Elio opens like any other car. It is designed to open from the side. I would much rather it upen from the bottom up. Like a hatch. Think it would be much more cool !!! What are your ideas on that??
Dallas
You're clearly not an engineer. Just think about how much weight and strengthening would be required up high to support the door, the spring / gas strut lift assist, etc? You can add a hundred pounds and increase your cost for something awkward if you want to, but geesh....it's a bad idea.

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Dallas
This subject is addressed in another thread on here somewhere...it was a cost and weight/design issue.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
CONVERTIBLE AND AUTOMATIC IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. I WANT IT TO STAY AS CLOSE TO A MOTORCYCLE TRIKE AS POSSIBLE.

I agree with this completely (but without the CAPS LOCK ON:)). I think in the interest of sticking to the $6,800 cost Elio will pretty much have to keep the vehicle simple, although I do like the standard features of heat and air. Electric windows and door locks? Eh...who cares? Stereo? got my MP3 player and ear buds. Keep it simple, light and inexpensive.

For those who insist on having the door on the curb side you would have to give up shifting or using the transmission with your right hand. Personally I like it just the way it is. I don't recall there being a lot of people getting hit exiting their cars from the drivers side. I'm sure it happens, I just don't think it's a problem worthy of a complete redesign. Anybody that wants a door on the curb side...do you really crawl over your bucket seats and transmission console in your current car to exit curb side because of safety concerns?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who parallel parks anymore?
Why do car manufacturers offer optional parallel parking assist?

Audi has a self parking concept that allows the driver to get out of the car, the car seeks out a parking space and parks itself. When the driver is ready......with the push of a button........the vehicle returns to the drop off location for pickup. Hey an idea for yet another Elio option! LOL

Top Bottom