• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Has Signed Over The Name"elio Motors" To Racers Trust As Collateral For Unpaid Debts...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong.

I do not see the value of owning the name "Elio Motors". The true value would appear to lie in intellectual property such as designs, test results, and simulations. Such a small portion of the population has heard of EM that it is not worth much. Is this a way of hurting the company very little if it fails? Take something that is worth little anyway?

Names are valuable if you want a famous name like Indian or Excelsior to put on your own motorcycle.

Perhaps Racer had to do something so they took as collateral, something of little value and would not hurt the company.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not see the value of owning the name "Elio Motors". The true value would appear to lie in intellectual property such as designs, test results, and simulations.
I agree. The name itself isn't worth a lot right now, simply because of the state of the company. It isn't worth much, and will be worth even less if this current funding round fails. So what's the point of owning the name, if the company itself is bankrupt with no prospect of ever earning any income? If they somehow also got the rights to all of the IP that goes along with it, that would be worth something, at least.

I see this as a symbolic gesture pointing that this is the Hail Mary pass at the end of the game.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps it's a way to let the name "owner" sell just the engine as a separate entity from Elio Motors. They mentioned selling just the engines before to third parties , but haven't heard much lately on that from Elio.

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will all come down to the $100 mil stock offering. If enough big investors think the business plan is sound then they will easily purchase $100 mil worth of stock. If Elio only manages to sell $30 mil worth of stock then we'll all know there is a major flaw in the business plan, and our dream of owning an Elio is over. The good news is we will see the result of this stock offering VERY soon. And that will tell me if I'm trading in my Sentra for an Elio in 2019 or if my $1,000 is toast and I can start looking for a nice used car later this year. We will know soon!

Mr Deleon

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
WOW !...What a few years make....got online today to hear some positive news about production dates and it seems everything I read is pretty negative...very sad to see it really not going the distance to production...guess the dream is growing dimmer...I still believe in MIRACLES !!!!

I think this has been the case since they pushed back production for the 3rd time! But, there are many on here that will refuse to see Elio in anything other than a positive light. If it were any other company doing the exact same things(collecting peoples money without producing anything and pushing back production for years) you know people would have been raging against them.

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it were any other company doing the exact same things(collecting peoples money without producing anything and pushing back production for years) you know people would have been raging against them.

That was a good post and really got me thinking....why am I not pissed off that I dropped $1,000.00 and only have a T-shirt to show for it? I think it's because I felt like I was becoming part of something that could really make a difference. A car like this would have been amazing when I was in college or shortly after graduating. I could have afforded it in high school with a part time job. People who can't afford anything but a rip off jalopy could have something new and dependable. I could save money on gas. Also it was about making a statement that the billions spent on advertising by the major automakers couldn't convince me to overpay for a new car with 300 features I don't want or need. It really bugs me when I see huge SUV's on the highway with 1 person in them. I drive about 50 miles per day and I get tired of looking at 4 unoccupied seats, 3 doors, and a trunk that I'm burning gas to haul around. And I guess the last reason I'm not upset is the $1,000.00 I put down to reserve the Elio has prevented me from buying something to replace my 2005 Sentra. I'm pretty sure I would have been tempted to find something used on Craigslist, but not with the thought of an Elio around a very big corner.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From the bottom of page 26 of Elio Motors most recent SEC filing...

In consideration for the July 1, 2017 agreement, the Company assigned as additional collateral all trademarks and trade names including, but not limited to, "Elio Design" and "Elio Motors".

It appears RACERS Trust now holds the names "Elio Design" & "Elio Motors" as collateral for unpaid debt...

In my opinion...this foreshadows that Paul may be losing control of Elio Motors...
PE is very creative and has created an ingenious design and corporate plan. However the company has become completely static and is going nowhere fast.

While I give great credit to Paul Elio, it may be time to have new leadership.

Top Bottom