• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pep Boys To Provide Service / Maintenance

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the pep boys repair idea is quite efficient. However, how fast will it take for PB's to "get up to speed" for repair? Using off the shelf parts, will service manuals/ cross reference aids be availed to Elio owners should we find ourselves out where Christ lost his sandals, no pep boys and goober leaning over the hood saying well golllllly ain't never seen one of these here cars before.

I know I'm being sarcastic but the truth to my point. In a several months these cars will be hitting the streets and nobody knows how to fix them, or get parts for them.

Would Elio sell service manuals / cross references manuals, at minimum to/for the Eliot owner to work on the vehicle at home.

Moderator Comment: Moved into existing Pep Boys repair discussion
Toxotes, welcome to the forum and this group of Elio enthusiasts. Love your sense of humor as a method of asking pertinent questions. We are a friendly helpful bunch and humor is always appreciated. Hope you will use the forum search function to quickly find the answers to most of your questions. If not, just ask because our membership is diverse with expertise in so many areas. Welcome and we look forward to your contributions.

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know I won't be taking mine to PB's except for warranty service/recalls. I've had them send me off with slid pins missing from my brake calipers before. If Ford hadn't thought to make the pin the trailing location on the brake I wouldn't have been having much fun. I had them change an CV Axle too, and on a car that doesn't call for staking the axle nut they used a hammer to dimple the threads and nut on the axle, wound up having to buy a new axle when I went to change the struts two months ago.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know I won't be taking mine to PB's except for warranty service/recalls. I've had them send me off with slid pins missing from my brake calipers before. If Ford hadn't thought to make the pin the trailing location on the brake I wouldn't have been having much fun. I had them change an CV Axle too, and on a car that doesn't call for staking the axle nut they used a hammer to dimple the threads and nut on the axle, wound up having to buy a new axle when I went to change the struts two months ago.
I hear both positive and negative PB reviews. I'm not a DIY guy but plan on having my Elio Serviced by the trusted local mechanic I've been using for years. I hope he doesn't ever retire.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the mechanics would be Elio trained and performing the maintenance at Pep Boys.
This may be true but will they perform to EM's level of anticipated Service Excellence or PB's current level. Would PB meet my level of expectation? Based on the on-line customer reviews........possible but unlikely because I am such a picky old geezer.......a service departments nightmare.

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've learned that there are 3 professions where you really want someone you know you can trust: Jeweler, Dentist, & Mechanic. There are unscrupulous or just plain untalented folks in every business, and I hate to trust a mechanic I don't know. I'm very fortunate that my son is a mechanic, and a good one at that. We will be doing all maintenance ourselves, unless there is a good reason to go to Pep Boys (recall, etc.)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've learned that there are 3 professions where you really want someone you know you can trust: Jeweler, Dentist, & Mechanic. There are unscrupulous or just plain untalented folks in every business, and I hate to trust a mechanic I don't know. I'm very fortunate that my son is a mechanic, and a good one at that. We will be doing all maintenance ourselves, unless there is a good reason to go to Pep Boys (recall, etc.)

I agree! As was said, "It ain't rocket science." All engines are basically the same. And so are the major components. I own a good code reader/diagnostic tool & access to the "net" to find answers. I too, will do my own maintenance. :)

Jay Brooks

Reaction score
I've spent many years working with aftermarket agreements in the aerospace industry for turbine engine R&O. One of my first thoughts about this vehicle was of aftermarket support which was answered, partially, with the PepBoys announcement, a great plan to utilize an established maintenance provider. I would like to learn more information about this agreement. Nothing against the company as a whole but I know of a few PB sites that I wouldn’t take a old used car to, much less a nice new cool ride like the Elio.

I guess the natural OCD side of being an engineer has me squirming with uncertainty about the logistics, cost, quality and reliability terms. I enjoy working on my own vehicles as much as possible, which is becoming more difficult these days, maybe the Elio will bring back the good old days of wrench turning especially if the customization market picks up on this great concept.

Has anyone heard more information about the deal with PepBoys?
JB

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing Pep Boys thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Jay. I have not heard the details of the agreement. I would imagine that Pep Boys would be very similar to any dealership's service center. It can be hit or miss. There are dealership service centers i wouldn't take my car too, either. FOrtunately, it looks like it will be an easy vehicle to do some self repairs to.

GreatDanes

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
...I would imagine that Pep Boys would be very similar to any dealership's service center. It can be hit or miss...
Alas, there are even times when the day of the week and/or the time of day makes a huge impact on the level of QUALITY you get from nearly a service center. For example, I never, EVER take my car into a service center on the first morning back from a holiday...

Top Bottom