• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At idea what the Elio's 1/4 mile times will be? I uses to race VW 's in the early 70's. Not fast .....but fun!
As long as it is fast enough so I do not look like a Grandma, no offence Grandma's, getting on the freeways, I will be happy. The one thing I would really like my ELIO to be able to do is outmaneuver, make tight corners, the 4 wheelers.

Last edited:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
.85g is a very respectable number - even for a car with some sporty intentions. C/D once rated the skidpad performance of my old '72 Opel Rallye at .85g, saying, "it sticks to the road like lint to a navy blue blazer". . . and that was on the cheap French-made Goodyear tires (that I soon had to replace because with a full load of passengers and luggage, the rear tires were WAY out of their load range . . . yeah, I went to Michelins). The car took SCCA Showroom Stock championships for a couple of years before organizers changed what was considered "stock".

No, your Elio's not going to be a F1 contender, but it as currently advertised, won't exactly be a slug either. With 50+ hp and a curb weight (less driver) of -1300lbs, it has a slightly higher power to weight ratio than a whole lot of 2-seat sporty cars of the 80's. Light weight also pays off in cornering and braking, beside outright accelerative capabilities. That gives me hope that my cheap econobox will be able to deliver some entertainment on weekends out on the two-lane blacktop . . . in addition to being the economical weekday commuter that it was designed to be.
Bravo! This, friend, speaks my mind. And a 10 hp tweak would speak it even better!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
At idea what the Elio's 1/4 mile times will be? I uses to race VW 's in the early 70's. Not fast .....but fun!
I remember 0-60 was 9.6
And I forget the 1/4 miles times.
It was a couple of years ago that they posted it; and they haven't updated since as far as I recall.

<Edit> I went and looked at a factory speed chart and looked for cars that did a 0-60 around 9.6 and took a couple of 1/4 mile times .
It looks like 17's for a 1/4 mile; which was close to a Dodge Omni, 1994 Dodge Ram Van, 2013 Honda CR-V 2.2 EX AWD, and here's the link to that page http://www.zeroto60times.com/

Comes in handy

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember 0-60 was 9.6
It was a couple of years ago that they posted it; and they haven't updated since as far as I recall.

<Edit> I went and looked at a factory speed chart and looked for cars that did a 0-60 around 9.6 and took a couple of 1/4 mile times .
It looks like 17's for a 1/4 mile; which was close to a Dodge Omni, 1994 Dodge Ram Van, 2013 Honda CR-V 2.2 EX AWD, and here's the link to that page http://www.zeroto60times.com/

Comes in handy

When I first got interested in the Elio I looked for older cars with comparable specs.
Strangely enough I came up with the '57 Austin Healey 100-6.
I say strangely because that was my first car in '61.
And that was considered a pretty quick car with decent handling.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember 0-60 was 9.6

Comes in handy
Thanks Coss,
It has 19 more HP than my 1958 36 HP VW bus and I did a 17 second 1/4 mile the day after I got my Mini Cooper. Very interesting site. Makes you realize that you really were not as fast as you thought.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Formula V races were as exciting as the higher performance vehicles. It was about driver skills. Loved watching them at Laguna Seca in the 60's.

Top Bottom