• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You forgot the wider contact patch also increases friction further reducing mpg. I see the Elio as a fun alternative to the boring econobox. I don't think it needs to be lightning fast, but I would like a firm responsive ride. I'd be happy with 50+ mpg and a 10 on the fun scale!
I too would be happy with 50+ MPG and a little more performance. How many here have 84MPG and your primary desire in the Elio?

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Look at the tires on this , never made it to production.
ELIO is not a hot rod, although since the engine block is aluminum it could be polished up to look like one. If the 55hp was turned into 155hp, It might need more rubber on the road. Like Coss said, the ELIO is so lightweight. I will have to actually take some corners in it before pondering any stock replacement dreams.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MPG and the value proposition are tops for me. Everything else is just icing.
Do I like to go fast? Yep. Do I like curves? Yep. But I commute every day, lucklily most is interstate where I can turn on the cruise. I do more of that than anything else, so I value the ability to do what I need regularly at a very economical price point.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Look at the tires on this , never made it to production.
ELIO is not a hot rod, although since the engine block is aluminum it could be polished up to look like one. If the 55hp was turned into 155hp, It might need more rubber on the road. Like Coss said, the ELIO is so lightweight. I will have to actually take some corners in it before pondering any stock replacement dreams.

Look at that Tumbler tire in the rear.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Side note; before you go looking for larger wheels, remember that the Elio uses a 4 bolt pattern on 15" rims.
Finding a larger or wider replacement might mean redoing the spindles to a 5 bolt because I doubt if you'll find a lot of wider 16" 4 bolt wheels.

Just a little FYI
Not enough FYI kind sir, also need the imaginary circle number to go shopping.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Not enough FYI kind sir, also need the imaginary circle number to go shopping.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=92
That detail would have to come for EM; I don't believe they have given and additional info on the wheels and tires then the size of the tires, diameter of rim (15") but not the width and 4 bolt rather than 5; but not the bolt pattern size.
You know the rest about contacting EM to find out.

Top Bottom