• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Performance Tires For The Elio Will Be A Pain.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
But i just love the drone of the studs on asphalt. Yeah, I haven't needed them in 6 years, but i drive a subaru. I live on whidbey, it never hurts to have them and not need them, instead of need them and not have them.
You'd do better without them for the kind of winters we get. If there is a really bad day, throw some chains on.
But with the weather we get (more wet then ice) the studs lessen your traction. Studs are only good for ice or iced over hard pack snow.
The only thing you're really doing is tearing up the streets.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Only here a year Coss, and frequently the high passes require chains at times- was also recently at Mt. Rainier ( and thanks for the info it was very helpful), there were signs designating pull-off areas to put on chains
I've spent a lot of time on the roads in and around Seattle. Plus all of the roads throughout the state; when I first moved up here and was living in Everett, Saturday or Sunday was my road trip day; fill the gas tank, fill the green/brown baggie ;) grab a GF and go out and try to get lost.
Found a lot of really cool roads to travel; we'd just flip a coin for which direction to go.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Little reminder ... the Elio was never intended to be a performance vehicle, just respectable handling for every day driving.
A low priced, high mile per gallon, commuter vehicle.
The Gen 1 Elio is being built to "get it's foot in the door" of being a new car company; besides this first edition, they do plan on doing different models in the future. No one should be disappointed that it can't be an everything vehicle for everyone; it will be just what they have said it will be; the -and- vehicle.

I must disagree. I think Elio is a sports car at heart. Think Back to the Porsche 356, the MG's and Bug Eye Sprint. They were not fast 0 to 60, but they connected you to the road in ways no other cars of their time did. That's what the Elio can do, a light car with no power steering, a manual transmission, and not a lot separating you from the ground. With a couple improvements it can become the evolution of what sports cars should be, light, simple, engaging and very fun.

That's the beauty of it, it's a canvas not a completed piece of automotive art.

electroken

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You'd do better without them for the kind of winters we get. If there is a really bad day, throw some chains on.
But with the weather we get (more wet then ice) the studs lessen your traction. Studs are only good for ice or iced over hard pack snow.
The only thing you're really doing is tearing up the streets.

I second this. You haven't lived until you ride a studded tire M/C on wet asphalt. The experience pegs the pucker factor meter.

My Mazda3 wears Bridgestone Blizzak studless tires in the winter and it's amazing what that car can get through.

2barrel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must disagree. I think Elio is a sports car at heart. Think Back to the Porsche 356, the MG's and Bug Eye Sprint. They were not fast 0 to 60, but they connected you to the road in ways no other cars of their time did. That's what the Elio can do, a light car with no power steering, a manual transmission, and not a lot separating you from the ground. With a couple improvements it can become the evolution of what sports cars should be, light, simple, engaging and very fun.

That's the beauty of it, it's a canvas not a completed piece of automotive art.
I hope you are right about the Elio's performance. My 64 Porsche 356C was one of the most fun cars I ever owned. I even named my daughter Porsche. Wish I had never sold her. The car!!! Is it only us old guys who are on this post in the middle of the night? My wife keeps threatening to hide my IPad.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Spirited driving"? Wider tires? All things considered (55hp, 1300lbs) I highly doubt you'd be outdriving the tires. In fact, I'd bet that wider tires would diminish the performance not to mention decrease fuel economy. I think it might even look a bit goofy to boot.
I agree, except for a large rear tire- not goofy(careful he's a moderator here :-))- but very cool
images.jpg

Top Bottom