• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pictures Of The P5 With The New Motor

am_fm_radio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
On the side of the bell housing is a flange and rubber boot. Clutch linkage connection... Automatics do not have that...
So that transmission is Manual -- hopefully a 5 speed or better...

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see a dyno curve on this engine. As others have pointed out, the intake tubes have been optimized for torque, with that and the long stroke delivering max power at very low rpms, under 2500. But how will it accelerate, and how long from, say, 60 to 100 vs 0 to 60? With all that torque it probably could haul a small trailer, if the frame would stand the stresses. Which EM is saying quite clearly they haven't engineered for. Sooner or later the torque curve will be published, and enquiring minds definitely do want to know.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see a dyno curve on this engine. As others have pointed out, the intake tubes have been optimized for torque, with that and the long stroke delivering max power at very low rpms, under 2500. But how will it accelerate, and how long from, say, 60 to 100 vs 0 to 60? With all that torque it probably could haul a small trailer, if the frame would stand the stresses. Which EM is saying quite clearly they haven't engineered for. Sooner or later the torque curve will be published, and enquiring minds definitely do want to know.

The issue I see with the Elio pulling a trailer is the amount of rubber on the ground at the rear. With 1 tire I can see it only being able to handle a small light weight trailer. It's not just about it's power abilities, it's also about the ability to handle the load when it pushes on the car.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The issue I see with the Elio pulling a trailer is the amount of rubber on the ground at the rear. With 1 tire I can see it only being able to handle a small light weight trailer. It's not just about it's power abilities, it's also about the ability to handle the load when it pushes on the car.
Speaking as a complete nube ... What do you imagine the characteristics would be if you had a lightweight 3-wheeled trailer -- one wheel in front and two in the rear? I'm imagining an Elio version of the Teardrop camper, or more precisely, a Little Boy My Pod, as shown in the link. It's rated to be towed by a coupe, with lots of pictures of it being towed by one of those 3-wheeled motorcycles.

(I just realized that the My Pod isn't 3-wheeled, it's 2-wheeled. Don't know what difference that would make.)

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Sure you can make it go.... but can you make it stop.
Or complete a turn without jackknifing.

Combine this with "How Big a Tire Can Fit Underneath" thread and we have gold.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking as a complete nube ... What do you imagine the characteristics would be if you had a lightweight 3-wheeled trailer -- one wheel in front and two in the rear? I'm imagining an Elio version of the Teardrop camper, or more precisely, a Little Boy My Pod, as shown in the link. It's rated to be towed by a coupe, with lots of pictures of it being towed by one of those 3-wheeled motorcycles.

(I just realized that the My Pod isn't 3-wheeled, it's 2-wheeled. Don't know what difference that would make.)

The best answer to controlling the weight of the trailer is to put brakes on it. When you go to stop, all the weight of the trailer will be pushing the Elio. The Elio might be able to handle a direct push because all three wheels will be helping. But if that push becomes off center then the front tires have less control and it will simply push the back end of the car to one side. With less rubber on the ground you have less control. If you have ever pulled a trailer behind a regular truck (two rear tires) and then pulled one behind a Dually (four rear tires) you can feel the difference in control.

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe someone could design some external Egg shaped pods that a person could attach toward the back of the Elio for extra storage. :D Place them about the same area as the engines on an A10 Thunderbolt.
A10.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom