• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Pictures Of The P5 With The New Motor

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can see the motor mount at the trans side of the engine, and just a part of the side motor mount (barely), but no motor mount on the serpentine belt side.
It's got to have three or it will shake like a freight train.
My G1 engine has the exhaust part of the motor on the firewall side of the engine, and the intakes on the radiator side of the engine.
The engine and trans is orientated in the same position as the ELIO in the engine bay. Maybe different engine rotation direction?

Wait, they have a "SUPER DAMPER" on the crankshaft, possibly to take up the shake at idle.!

Willie

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see the motor mount at the trans side of the engine, and just a part of the side motor mount (barely), but no motor mount on the serpentine belt side.
It's got to have three or it will shake like a freight train.
My G1 engine has the exhaust part of the motor on the firewall side of the engine, and the intakes on the radiator side of the engine.
The engine and trans is orientated in the same position as the ELIO in the engine bay. Maybe different engine rotation direction?
Willie

There is also the possibility that it's not all there yet ............. (aka work in progress)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's nothing like being in control (manual) of when to change gear specially on a small engine. I honestly don't know how the automatic will perform going up hill until we get the chance for the eventual test drive prior to purchase. It'll look more sporty and more responsive with the stick, hood striping and the P3 wheel covers! ;)
Manual's great until you live in Seattle or SF. Then you get an automatic or hire a mexican immigrant to shift for you -- Manuel Labor

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Better wait til the engine is cold to check your oil -- located where it is, you better not just pull in from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and grab hold in there -- tight quarters and hot pipes. Really, that's a design that needs to be thought about. Make the dipstick a couple of inches longer and all is well.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Manual's great until you live in Seattle or SF. Then you get an automatic or hire a mexican immigrant to shift for you -- Manuel Labor

there is most certainly a segment of the market that favors/needs/wants a manual transmission .... there is also a segment of the market (I suspect a far larger segment) that favors/needs/wants an automatic .... I believe that having a manual in the P5 is a calculated decision based on the fact that it is projected to be driven by who knows how many writers in the automotive field .... I do believe that the performance with a manual will be peppier and that is good for marketing

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
there is most certainly a segment of the market that favors/needs/wants a manual transmission .... there is also a segment of the market (I suspect a far larger segment) that favors/needs/wants an automatic .... I believe that having a manual in the P5 is a calculated decision based on the fact that it is projected to be driven by who knows how many writers in the automotive field .... I do believe that the performance with a manual will be peppier and that is good for marketing

Both my wife and I have no problem with manual trannies -- I've driven manual vehicles since day one, and she learned shortly after we were married. Our older daughter (30 years later) learned stick, but the younger one never did. I alway thought it was important because if you were stuck in the boonies and needed to get out, and that was the only vehicle available, well, you'd better be able to drive it.

Now that I'm 70 and getting increasingly arthritic, it's a toss-up. I'd love the manual, but it's not a good long term bet. Assuming there is a long term. Or that I can still drive. Or that I remember what a car is.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's cause I'm not in that picture... I haven't even seen the car in person yet.:D

Think with your dipstick :D

castrol-use-your-dipstick.jpg

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both my wife and I have no problem with manual trannies -- I've driven manual vehicles since day one, and she learned shortly after we were married. Our older daughter (30 years later) learned stick, but the younger one never did. I alway thought it was important because if you were stuck in the boonies and needed to get out, and that was the only vehicle available, well, you'd better be able to drive it.

Now that I'm 70 and getting increasingly arthritic, it's a toss-up. I'd love the manual, but it's not a good long term bet. Assuming there is a long term. Or that I can still drive. Or that I remember what a car is.

That's why I'm going with the AMT :D

Top Bottom