• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Place In Line Question

ArcherBullseye

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been lurking her for awhile but have not yet found the answer to one of my questions.

If I were to make a reservation, can I defer my spot in line?

I would like any potential savings that a reservation has to offer, but the timing is more specific; as my auto situation is fluid.

Thanks,
AB

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been lurking her for awhile but have not yet found the answer to one of my questions.

If I were to make a reservation, can I defer my spot in line?

I would like any potential savings that a reservation has to offer, but the timing is more specific; as my auto situation is fluid.

Thanks,
AB
Are you all in at $1,000 level? If so, what's your spot in line number? If it's above 15000 or around there, your car should be produced about 3 months after they begin production. At that point you might be able to get in touch with Elio Motors and defer your spot in line. The trouble with doing that is that it forces everybody below you to have their production number altered as well.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to drop your number, but you would lose the incentives. But you could always drop it and then simply buy a car when they're not doing reservations any longer.

Another possibility would be simply to buy your Elio and immediately sell it to somebody who's really eager to have one. But you would probably lose a little money on that exchange particularly if your option list were exotic or to sparse.

I do know you cannot simply transfer your spot in line to somebody else. If this is a real issue for you, I would suggest getting in touch with Elio motors and asking them what they think.

ArcherBullseye

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for both the replies.

A SIL (all in) is a 50% match as a current incentive. (I have not yet made a reservation)

I would like to leverage that, but have more flexibility as to when I get the Elio. Unfortunately my HOA has a strict rule against having 3 cars.. and I need to keep 2 cars for work reasons (one on a lease). So I really cant just get a 3rd car willy nilly between 0 and 6 months, if that makes sense.

But when my lease is up on my Leaf I would love to have an Elio in line to replace it.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A SIL (all in) is a 50% match as a current incentive. (I have not yet made a reservation)

I would like to leverage that, but have more flexibility as to when I get the Elio. Unfortunately my HOA has a strict rule against having 3 cars.. and I need to keep 2 cars for work reasons (one on a lease). So I really cant just get a 3rd car willy nilly between 0 and 6 months, if that makes sense.

But when my lease is up on my Leaf I would love to have an Elio in line to replace it.

Gotcha! You want the savings incentive, but are concerned you'll end up with a third vehicle (no-no with the HOA). Okay. The SILs are way up there now looking at some of the numbers members have, and I'm guessing, but I'd say you'd come in around 15k - 16k if you went all in today. When the production starts (assumed to be 4th qtr 2016) you'd still have several months or more before they got around to building your Elio. So you could either sell one, which doesn't sound like an option for you, or have it stored somewhere locally (friend/family) until you can "thin the herd" to satisfy the HOA. Just throwing out ideas.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Just direct your HOA to Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, section 571.3(b), definition of "motorcycle." Problem solved, no violation of the 3 car rule.

ArcherBullseye

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Just direct your HOA to Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, section 571.3(b), definition of "motorcycle." Problem solved, no violation of the 3 car rule.

While I may have legal standing on this, the rule makes sense due to limited street parking and room under my carport. (Yay big cities) It would be a disservice to my neighbors to take up a spot that's there for guests.

Thanks though!

Top Bottom