• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Polaris Slingshot

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
re: Slingshot...at $20,000.00 it is all about burning out the rear tire !
Yes that's the silly thing about Reverse trikes with Rear wheel drive. People who burn the tires on those things think they are doing something impressive, but really they are just showing how the things can't apply power to the road.
On the other hand if they do catch some grip, and has enough power, it can then pop a wheelie, and that can be deadly.

You won't be able to make that particular mistake in an Elio.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes that's the silly thing about Reverse trikes with Rear wheel drive. People who burn the tires on those things think they are doing something impressive, but really they are just showing how the things can't apply power to the road.
On the other hand if they do catch some grip, and has enough power, it can then pop a wheelie, and that can be deadly.

You won't be able to make that particular mistake in an Elio.

Incidentally, this is where liabilities have killed any number of concept Cycle cars. Any number of times FWD was considered too complex or expensive, or the roll over risks of RWD was confused with FWD, so they just gave up or failed.

In these more modern times, FWD is now very cost effective considering the saving in a simpler chassis.

There are a number of other dynamic issues with RWD on a tadpole trike, nicely corrected by FWD. Some of this can be spotted on YouTube, where the operator thinks he's being cool, but the car is showing issues.

Just consider, the rear has no correction for body lean in a turn, and then the rear tire is less compliant to the ground. Not an issue with FWD, but with RWD, you now have lack of full contact. Then the car might flatten out, with sudden full contact, momentum rolls to the other side and back to lack of contact again. Things can get out of hand depending on dynamics specific to the event. i.e. very unpredictable. One day you make that turn, one day you don't.

The Dymaxion encountered that issue. It's an iconic image. But, along with RWD, it had two extra issues, high center of gravity, and rear steering. It was a predetermined outcome.

These types of transient issues are even worse with delta-1F2R trikes. All these things are fixed with FWD tadpole design.

Last edited:

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with "reasonable" power

front wheel drive

some magic electronic stability stuff

the ElioMobile can be EXTREMELY SAFE !!!

i would say do NOT waste the money on skinnier wheels/tires to get the MPG advertised ! I would personally rather forfeit MPG for a low profile wider flat tire

this is NOT a sports car ! not meant to be !

KISS and extremely reliable …

i would LOVE an automatic new design transmission so that all you have to do is concentrate on driving safely, avoiding potholes. other cars ..those "outrigger" wheels take some time getting the perspective where they are at all times ...

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
with "reasonable" power

front wheel drive

some magic electronic stability stuff

the ElioMobile can be EXTREMELY SAFE !!!

i would say do NOT waste the money on skinnier wheels/tires to get the MPG advertised ! I would personally rather forfeit MPG for a low profile wider flat tire

this is NOT a sports car ! not meant to be !

KISS and extremely reliable …

i would LOVE an automatic new design transmission so that all you have to do is concentrate on driving safely, avoiding potholes. other cars ..those "outrigger" wheels take some time getting the perspective where they are at all times ...
Are you saying you can't drive and talk, or think, or do anything else while driving and still be safe?

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the "outrigger" front wheels are

"different"

than what MOST people are used to taking into their vision

from sitting in the vehicle you will NOT be able to see the outside edge of the wheel housing

just different that's all

different

Darrell

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I sat in the Slingshot last weekend at the Bedford, NH auto show. Well nothing about it appealed to me, even if it was the same price as the Elio! It felt too honking big and massive, but at the same time lacked the Elio's roll cage. Everything about it was over done. I like small, simple sports cars. Hope the the Elio has sporty handling inspire of having narrow tires.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Corbin, creator the the Sparrow ..electric three wheeler..back around 2000

first 35 Sparrows had custom billet aluminum wheels, with a "twin-tire" mounted

185-16 tires

these tires had been custom made to use with a custom rim that allowed mounting TWO tires on each rim ! twin-tire system

the idea (before run-flats) allowed one tire to go flat !

JJ Twin Tires.jpg

using just one tire inflated to 85 psi increased range (decreased Mu coefficient friction)

BUT it raised the CG too high, vehicle too tippy ..

I was able to find the rims in storage in AUSTRALIA, and purchased a container load

then found the last 300 tires in storage in a wine cellar in California

crazy story

skinny tires with high pressure WILL increase MPG (range in an EV)

every day I read more about the Elio and get more excited and respectful of Paul Elio and his desire to attain this incredible goal .

He has my 100% respect and gratitude for taking on this task, and I have NO DOUBT HE WILL SUCEED !

Thank You Paul Elio !

ez

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
at one time I'd of jumped all over a rig like that but those days are long gone .... thanks for posting the video

Jim

It's cool but lots of other fun cars I'd rather have for 20 grand, like a Honda S2000, Subaru WRX STI, or fox body Mustang

Top Bottom