• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Polaris Slingshot

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
slingshot.jpg
I have to take one of these out for a spin

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Corbin, creator the the Sparrow ..electric three wheeler..back around 2000
first 35 Sparrows had custom billet aluminum wheels, with a "twin-tire" mounted..TWO tires on each rim ! twin-tire system.
using just one tire inflated to 85 psi increased range (decreased Mu coefficient friction)
ez

By the way, we, well after I left (talked about it when I was there), they did that on a Viking car, same thing with the high pressure tire at the outside.
The other benefit was lower un-sprung weight. This was a 4 wheeler so the CG was more forgiving. But also they machined their own rims and kept the cd and rim mass low. I don't know what the final benefit was in actual numbers. I understand you could also change your own tires more easily.

I would also have liked to try that with 3 bike tires. But I live in Arizona, and they aren't thorn proof. (Arizona = a thorny place)

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So it was interesting today, I went out for Sunday shopping and ended up tailing a brand new bright red Slingshot. Tried to toss a business card, but the driver offered to pull over to the next gas station. It was perfect timing they had just bought it Saturday. They were still eager to talk about their little find. That will not be as true an a few days, after a million people ask about it every where they go, but for now it worked out good for me.

This was Rodger and Judy, obviously a retired couple who like to ride the roads. The car cost 24k, and reluctantly the sales outlet took a trade-in motorcycle. Rodger and Judy had trouble in their current age ridding cycles. Judy has very long legs and the passenger position has been hurting her hips. Rodger has some pains in his hips and legs as well, so a regular seat was very attractive. Judy does find the floor just a little shy of the length she needs, So Rodger thinks he may extend the foot box for her.

At 24k, this cost more than my brand new Prius C. But the open air ridding restored to painless fun is priceless. They seem very happy, but their making their first long 'ride' this week. He says it's very peppy accelerating. It's extremely difficult to talk while driving, but they have never mined that.

They have the half sized windshield and very much want a full size one, which will be out very soon apparently. They also want a trailer, so I think some vacation driving is with-in their scope of activity.

Even though not required here in AZ, both wear open face half-helmets, with sunglasses and dark shields that slide up inside the shell. Both wear a com unit on the helmet, but the ones they have are still a bit noisy en-route. By the look of the fender skirts, direct rock toss would not be a problem. I would only wear a helmet here in AZ, considering the number of times my windshield has been broken by flying rocks and pebbles. Another good reason for a full windshield, although you can still be hit in the face from above.

The car cuts a very nice image on the road. The panels and space are very minimal, and the glove box doesn't seem to lock or even latch very well. Rodger is very handy and figures on improving things here and there. But a trailer is about the only way to carry much of anything with a passenger.

This was one was from the second batch of 24 sold in Arizona, so this is just getting started around here.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A guy I work with, Paul, just bought one (also red) last week. The temps were in the low 30's early last week, but he drove it in anywayo_O...he's from Nederland, and 'slightly' nutty anyway...could explain it. Wicked looking close up, but the seats look like they might get kind of rough on the butt on a long drive. Like I said, it was pretty cold out, and the seats looked like some kind of rubber coated foam. Hard as a rock that day, but maybe they'll soften up when the weather gets back into the 90's.;)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just curious ... what are his plans for using it .... its kind of difficult to use any open cockpit vehicle as a daily driver

Jim

Paul's a single guy [read: Never married], and only lives about 5 miles from work, so I'm thinking it's just a fair weather toy...and a pretty cool one at that.;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Paul's a single guy [read: Never married], and only lives about 5 miles from work, so I'm thinking it's just a fair weather toy...and a pretty cool one at that.;)

they are that .... I'd love to drive one but have no desire to own one .... of course, that could change after a test drive ... :confused:

Jim

Top Bottom