• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Poll - Are You Or Have You Ever Been A Motorcycle Rider?

Current, Former, or never been a Motorcycle rider

• Total voters

pablotech1

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wanted/fantasized about an enclosed motorcycle for daily riding in Chicago, thought it would be awesome and saw a few crazy prototypes online. The Elio is the real deal! Finally an affordable option because my other dream ($30,000 T-rex reverse trike) is way out of the question. I'm $1000 All-in, meanwhile I'm just gonna ride this...
3eruha5y.jpg

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
based on the poll showing just over 80% of the folks here are or have been motorcycle riders, Elio might find it worthwhile to do some serious marketing to non-riders

Jim

I don't think the poll numbers are an accident and believe this pattern, along with the general reservations patterns, shows that Elio Motors understand the demographics of likely reservation holders quite well. EM understand that middle aged and older males who ride, or used to ride, motorcycles are also the most likely to have excess capital as motorcycle tend to be expensive toys. This demographic also tends to be accepting of some level of risk in their lives which covers the fact that there is an inherent level of risk involved in making a reservation at this time. Anyone else who is exposed to the concept and makes a reservation at this time is welcomed of course however EM is purposefully targeting the demographic most likely to make reservations.

Once we get closer to retail sales I expect to see a big shift in marketing aimed at the mass market as this is where EM will need to be at that time.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I truly think the dam will break when EM has a production line that isn't just for reservations. People who are adverse to risk, and/or have no specific interest in a 3 wheeler or motorcycle WILL buy it when it saves them money just to drive it. And the Credit-Card idea is 'killer' (in a good way). That's based on my talking with about 300 people.
I could hone my conversations to investigate the percentage who say they would actually spend for real, but frankly it's still just a guess, since people will say one thing then do another when there's real money involved. Since 30mi is the average commute in the US, and that's about when it sometimes saves you more than it costs, this will affect the thinking of 50% of the US drivers out there.
I suspect EM wants us 'All-In' people to convince the holdouts and general public in year one. Then they'll increase production for year two, in ratio based on the public reaction.
OK, OK that's a well worked horse!

Robert7841

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There had been the logical occasional discussions on here and the Facebook Elio page about the Elio and safety and classification as a motorcycle and maybe a new classification of an auto-cycle.

I'm curious to see how many people are current or former motorcycle riders that are on this forum. I think it is obvious the % would be high for riders vs. non riders, but that is just my assumption. I am a former rider and have an agreement with my wife that I cannot own a motorcycle again until my kids are all grown up, but the Elio is clearly safe enough that she has no problem with me getting one.

I know many have concerns over safety, but I guess that no one that is a current or former motorcycle rider is concerned about the safety of the Elio.

Of course, feel free to expand upon this topic.
Current motorcycle rider, I have similar opinion of Post #2. I just hope lane splitting riders don't run into the front wheel when it's dark, or unexpected.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just dirt bikes. First bike was an Yamaha IT-175, second was a Husqvarna WR-400 (scary beast! :eek:). I rode like a maniac, way above my skill level trying to keep up my friends...wish they had Go-Pros back then, some of my crashes were epic! Damn near killed me, but it was a blast.:D

BillJ

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
While motorcycles are definitely more dangerous than driving a car or autocycle because you have less protection, nothing is a guarantee of safety, and people die in big rigs, and large SUVs every day. If a drunk goes left of center, you can be just as dead driving a truck as you can a motorcycle. A well known former police chief in our area was recently killed by a young driver that was texting. He went left of center and killed him while he was driving a large SUV.

I figure when your number's up, its up. Just drive as safe as you possibly can, and hope for the best.

Top Bottom