• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Potholes

DScott

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OOH! OOH! PICK ME! PICK ME! Riding a tadpole-style three wheel recumbent has taught me what we ALL will need to know!

1. You CANNOT split the difference between the front wheels as that will place the central rear wheel RIGHT IN the hole
2. You MUST keep the pothole between the center line and either wheel!
On my recumbent bicycle, I put my pedal over the pothole and I miss the hole with all wheels.

I have tried to draw a pic for your consideration.[Broken External Image]
That's great if you have a 6" pothole. Here in TX, I have a hard time keeping the pothole been the wheels of my jeep!

GreatDanes

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
That's great if you have a 6" pothole. Here in TX, I have a hard time keeping the pothole been the wheels of my jeep!
for the big ones, you should try to ease through it with one of the front wheels, rather than straddle and hit it with the back. I have even developed a technique (useful on my bicycle) where I perform a lean-to-one-side-wheelie to lessen the impact. Steering with one front wheel and the center back wheel is hinky at best!

In our Elios, we do have a shock on the back wheel!

Last edited:

wwright

Elio Fan
Reaction score
So after the recent discussions about avoiding potholes while driving the Elio -- Has anyone found themselves looking at them on their daily drive with a new interest? I confess that I have. There are two that are dead center of the road and a few that would make avoidance difficult. The state is putting in a new bridge though, so if I am lucky they will be repaving most of this road before the Elio arrives anyway. The other thing I realized is that seeing the potholes in the Elio will be at a much different angle than in my SUV. Quick actions will make it all the more fun. LOL :)

Potholes? In WV?

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So after the recent discussions about avoiding potholes while driving the Elio -- Has anyone found themselves looking at them on their daily drive with a new interest? I confess that I have. There are two that are dead center of the road and a few that would make avoidance difficult. The state is putting in a new bridge though, so if I am lucky they will be repaving most of this road before the Elio arrives anyway. The other thing I realized is that seeing the potholes in the Elio will be at a much different angle than in my SUV. Quick actions will make it all the more fun. LOL :)

Ride a motorcycle for 46 years and you will learn to spot and avoid potholes and road debris. My biggest fear is hitting a deer. I hit one in my Miata with the top down and he flipped over my car. Never saw him until I hit him. I'm lucky I still have my scalp. In a 1200 lb Elio that would be disastrous.

Carolyn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
As we were driving the other day, my husband swerved to avoid a pothole. Potholes are a fact of life, unfortunately. With Elio's three-wheeled design, are any of you concerned about potholes and the potential damage one can do to the rear wheel? Will potholes be a major problem for the Elio? I'm curious to know what your thoughts are regarding this issue. Carolyn

Top Bottom