• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Questions For Upcoming Tour Event Wednesday, April 26, 2017

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In fact, I asked Chip at the pop up event if any thought has been given to a tow package, and he replied that they were looking into something. I use an aluminum folding platform on my 2" tow receiver box.

Chip is a permanent figure on the team and I want to trust what he says. Much of the 'breaking news' I glean about the Elio stems from conversations with the Tour Team and Jerome and Pam in person.

That's why this snippet caught my attention. For years now, the company has been steadfast in their posturing from every angle (Facebook comments, TellMeMore@ElioMotors.com email replies, in-person remarks at public tour events, etc) that the Elio would not come with a standard or optional tow package from the factory. Their justification has always revolved around the vehicle's unique three-wheeled geometry and how adding a trailer or tongue weight could/would negatively impact handling and distort the logic parameters programmed into the Anti-Lock Braking System and Electronic Stability Control being tweaked on the E1a by Continental. It has always been a combined safety/liability argument opposing a tow package.

I would be ecstatic if they (read: Elio Motors on a legal, liability, and ultimate decision-making authority standpoint and Continental on a technical capability and safety standpoint) were evaluating this further.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Or vandals or people like me who is temped to steal it. The new trailer is secure and unassuming. It locks up tight and the tents fit nicely on over head rakes. All the display stuff is neatly in there. I doubt the VPs knew what was in there. I assume the sales team put it together, seeing they put it together a hundred of times. Maybe, that is why the VPs didn't bother to look for the flyers, lol.
I think I have a guess about this event, given who was there and how they behaved.
I'm very suspicious this was not for the public as much as a demo for some potential investors. Having a sizeable set of Elio buyers there, it was probably very good for that presentation.
Did anyone see any suits or elite looking people being accompanied by the Elio leaders? If so, this show was for them.
But to suit a meeting in one of the buildings, they only needed to be visible from a window or the street. Angry drivers going by is NOT a problem since it was because there were plenty of people there who were indeed interested.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Chip is a permanent figure on the team and I want to trust what he says. Much of the 'breaking news' I glean about the Elio stems from conversations with the Tour Team and Jerome and Pam in person.

That's why this snippet caught my attention. For years now, the company has been steadfast in their posturing from every angle (Facebook comments, TellMeMore@ElioMotors.com email replies, in-person remarks at public tour events, etc) that the Elio would not come with a standard or optional tow package from the factory. Their justification has always revolved around the vehicle's unique three-wheeled geometry and how adding a trailer or tongue weight could/would negatively impact handling and distort the logic parameters programmed into the Anti-Lock Braking System and Electronic Stability Control being tweaked on the E1a by Continental. It has always been a combined safety/liability argument opposing a tow package.

I would be ecstatic if they (read: Elio Motors on a legal, liability, and ultimate decision-making authority standpoint and Continental on a technical capability and safety standpoint) were evaluating this further.
aftermarket, aftermarket, aftermarket, it
s really something that should not distract from the funding effort and can easily be addressed after the first elio comes off the line.

Last edited:

Hootersnoocher

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Lets see, no not any suits were present, in the investor sense. Chip did allude to the braking set up, balance and weight and control in regard to their reluctance to go full in on tow option. But, while I was discussing such a need, I was in my 200lbs. motorized power chair and explained my need to lug this puppy around with some type of trailing conveyance. I hinted that a good metal fabricator could make something adaptable. those are skirts after all, I wouldn't mind if mine went skirt-less. He didn't say I couldn't or shouldn't. I mean, motorcycles do it. Their goal is aerodynamics and mileage. Mileage was also mentioned as to being diminished, "but they are always thinking about the customer." Did that help?

Reaction score
I'm very suspicious this was not for the public as much as a demo for some potential investors. Having a sizeable set of Elio buyers there, it was probably very good for that presentation.
Did anyone see any suits or elite looking people being accompanied by the Elio leaders? If so, this show was for them.
But to suit a meeting in one of the buildings, they only needed to be visible from a window or the street. Angry drivers going by is NOT a problem since it was because there were plenty of people there who were indeed interested.

Absolutely AriLea, We WERE on display. I commented that the VPs learned quit a bit about us. Not so much Chip and the ones who deal with us on a regular basic, they were their usual professional selfes. But, the other's were studying us. Also, WE WERE being watched from above. I tried to talk to everybody there and didn't notice any un-identified suits on the ground. The car stopped in the middle of the road WAS a plus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lets see, no not any suits were present, in the investor sense. Chip did allude to the braking set up, balance and weight and control in regard to their reluctance to go full in on tow option. But, while I was discussing such a need, I was in my 200lbs. motorized power chair and explained my need to lug this puppy around with some type of trailing conveyance. I hinted that a good metal fabricator could make something adaptable. those are skirts after all, I wouldn't mind if mine went skirt-less. He didn't say I couldn't or shouldn't. I mean, motorcycles do it. Their goal is aerodynamics and mileage. Mileage was also mentioned as to being diminished, "but they are always thinking about the customer." Did that help?

I HELPED ! Two years ago I showed up to the dream cruise and the last NAIAS in a wheel chair. I had my Granddaughters to push me around. I can't walk far, bad hip & heart. I got to pace myself and use help when available. I have the chair mentioned in this thread in my shopping cart on Amazon. It WILL fit in the back of the elios. But, I am waiting for my elio first.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I HELPED ! Two years ago I showed up to the dream cruise and the last NAIAS in a wheel chair. I had my Granddaughters to push me around. I can't walk far, bad hip & heart. I got to pace myself and use help when available. I have the chair mentioned in this thread in my shopping cart on Amazon. It WILL fit in the back of the elios. But, I am waiting for my elio first.
The TravelScoot?

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I think that they could design a fifth wheel trailer to give more stability

Top Bottom