• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Quick Poll. Yes, Another Poll. This One About Transmissions.

Will you be buying a manual or automatic?

• Total voters

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really would like to have an AMT, but it appears that it will probably be a single clutch unit. Those are known for less than smooth shifting and jerky operation while creeping in traffic. Creeping traffic is an all to common mode in the Atlanta area. I guess I'll have to teach the wife to drive a MT prior to getting rid of the current car and taking delivery of the Elio.

pj rogers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In OKC, Jerome said they are trying to keep the amt automatic under $1000. JUST GUESSING, If you figure $7000 base price, then add the auto at $795, cruise at $250, destination at $795, dealer prep at $150..you can ball park your average elio around $9000. plus your state and local vehicle fees and tax. Other options will be extra of course..

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score

If Elio is going to use an AMT this one is pretty cool I still wont get the AMT in not lazy.
I would have to drive one. I want an automatic bad, but it seem very rudimentary having to release the throttle each time you want to up shift. It seems that they could duplicate that via the engine control system without having to have any input from the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fargofx

Reaction score
I generally prefer manual, but my wife would go for the automatic (not a sexist statement, just reality in our case). Regardless, I'll be lobbying pretty hard for manual if it significantly improves the mileage.

Having said that, I'm very much intrigued by the CVT idea... I'd like to see how the mileage and other performance of a CVT stack up against auto and manual.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I generally prefer manual, but my wife would go for the automatic (not a sexist statement, just reality in our case). Regardless, I'll be lobbying pretty hard for manual if it significantly improves the mileage.

Having said that, I'm very much intrigued by the CVT idea... I'd like to see how the mileage and other performance of a CVT stack up against auto and manual.
Hopefullly, when the Elio is finally produced, they will provide a good comparison of the two transmissions. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities that the Automatic or AMT, whatever, gets better fuel economy than the manual. Then, You'd have to decide if the upcharge for the AMT is worth the X MPG that it improves the vehicle. If it doesn't improve the mileage or gets worse than the manual, I have no fear of a clutch pedal.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure the Elio is the right base car to make into a dragster... or a hill climber... But, I'd bet it would be interesting to run it up Pike's Peak!
Well I have had all my cars to the track at some point, I guess as soon as the warranty is over I'll see if I can break 17 seconds at Atco raceway. Not too sure about SCCA events though.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well I have had all my cars to the track at some point, I guess as soon as the warranty is over I'll see if I can break 17 seconds at Atco raceway. Not too sure about SCCA events though.
SCCA might be kind of fun if you can get the elio to move. It should be able to squeeze around the track fairly easily. Bracket racing... I always forget about bracket racing. That would be something to see.

Top Bottom