• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Random Thoughts...

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would think that Pep Boys would benefit from all this the most. We would go to them for service and I still speculate Pep Boys will sell or at least allow delivery of the vehicles.

I was actually wondering how to change the oil in the Elio. Currently I have my vehicles put on a lift. That requires 4 wheels. Pep Boys will obviously find a way but I doubt it will be just driving it up onto a set of ramps or crawling under the thing.

On an unrelated note I still dream of taking the back seat out and putting a hybrid power train from something like golf cart or similar city vehicle. Regenerative braking and an extra power boost would have to be fun.

edit- let me add that I have never been to a Pep Boys despite having one not too far away. I can't be alone in this. I think if this gets started for real Pep Boys may really get involved and help push it the last stretch.
I just changed my oil on my bike last week, and I imagine that it will be fairly similar. No lift or jack stands (however, I dont see 3 wheels preventing you from jacking up the vehicle). Just slide the oil pan below it, get on the ground and find your drain plug and oil filter. Drain/swap the filter/plug and fill. Simple and quick. Just hope they put the filter and drain in a reasonable location.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm mine is the opposite, the oil filter is on top, and to continue with the odd ball, it's not a screw on, it's a cartridge in a casing.
Leave it to Dodge to stay old school.
Plus, it's 6 qts. not the normal 5 with filter.
It's a strange setup, but it works, and when something works, don't change it.
That's the best reason I can come up with.
That's how my VW works. I suck the oil out through the dip stick and while that is going on, just change out the filter (which is about 6" from the oil fill). By the time I do that, the oil is all out of the oil pan. Then I fill it back up. It's almost too easy.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hmm mine is the opposite, the oil filter is on top, and to continue with the odd ball, it's not a screw on, it's a cartridge in a casing.
Leave it to Dodge to stay old school.
Plus, it's 6 qts. not the normal 5 with filter.
It's a strange setup, but it works, and when something works, don't change it.
That's the best reason I can come up with.
Amen, if it ain't broke.....don't fix it !!!

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just changed my oil on my bike last week, and I imagine that it will be fairly similar. No lift or jack stands (however, I dont see 3 wheels preventing you from jacking up the vehicle). Just slide the oil pan below it, get on the ground and find your drain plug and oil filter. Drain/swap the filter/plug and fill. Simple and quick. Just hope they put the filter and drain in a reasonable location.

I never said you couldn't jack it up but anyone who does a lot of work will always use a lift. An Elio won't go up a lift. We can crawl under or put it on ramps but what will Pep Boys do? I guess it depends on how many Elios they plan to work on.

The Elio will be harder to work on than a bike due to the engine being enclosed in a tiny area.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said you couldn't jack it up but anyone who does a lot of work will always use a lift. An Elio won't go up a lift. We can crawl under or put it on ramps but what will Pep Boys do? I guess it depends on how many Elios they plan to work on.
The Elio will be harder to work on than a bike due to the engine being enclosed in a tiny area.
There is a way to put an Elio on a lift IF you have a lift with swing out pads, or if you have a wheels style lift, and your doing a lot of these, just make (get) a cross member for the lift that will take the rear wheel. Simple to do. We actually covered it in earlier discussions.
And as to the engine being in a tiny area, there is enough room to get to the drain plug, then depending on the filter is if you take it off from the top side, or underneath. Another simple one. If you've worked on cars for any period of time, this little areas that most consider difficult, is usually easy once you do it a few times. (Note** I did work as a mechanic for a "few" years)

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I see a lot of people here talking about "sucking" oil out through the dip stick. This is NOT optimal. When hot oil is drained through the drain plug a small amount of sludge in the bottom of the pan is also drained. If this is not done, that sludge will build up over time.
I've been an auto mechanic for almost 60 years and an aircraft mechanic for over 45 years. I would never change oil by the suction method. Even when I worked on inboard boat engines, I built a special drain pan that would fit in the bilge under the pan.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like the oil companies are still finding new oil. Here is an article from Seeking Alpha:

Exxon announces eighth oil discovery offshore Guyana
Jun. 20, 2018 10:38 AM ET|By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor
Exxon Mobil (XOM -0.3%) says it made its eighth oil discovery offshore Guyana at the Longtail-1 well, creating the potential for additional resource development in the southeast area of the Stabroek Block.

Drilling results are under evaluation but the combined estimated recoverable resources of Longtail and the nearby Turbot discovery will exceed 50M boe, the company says.

XOM says it plans to add a second exploration vessel offshore Guyana in addition to the Stena Carron drillship, bringing its total number of drillships on the Stabroek Block to three.

XOM is operator and owns a 45% interest in the Stabroek Block, while Hess (HES +1.2%) holds 30% and Cnooc's (CEO +1.3%) Nexen has 25%.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is a way to put an Elio on a lift IF you have a lift with swing out pads, or if you have a wheels style lift, and your doing a lot of these, just make (get) a cross member for the lift that will take the rear wheel. Simple to do. We actually covered it in earlier discussions.
And as to the engine being in a tiny area, there is enough room to get to the drain plug, then depending on the filter is if you take it off from the top side, or underneath. Another simple one. If you've worked on cars for any period of time, this little areas that most consider difficult, is usually easy once you do it a few times. (Note** I did work as a mechanic for a "few" years)
Or, use a lift and let it hang by the front wheels :p

Top Bottom