• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Random Thoughts...

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree the rear window option ( with a rear mirror) would be a "security blanket" for owners who might have difficulty considering the machine without it. Many a thread was shared here with consideration for "blind spots", I was indeed fortunate to have had three opportunities sitting in the E, and with 50+ yrs on MC it was an easy do.
Of course with a passenger all you'd see is a head, or in the ever classic photo of PE's head looking out the trunk, you'd get a view of his butt (perish the thought)

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The entire Elio car is the product of thinking outside the box. In the spirit of that let's consider this. The main reason stated for not having a rear window is because the passenger's head rest and/or head will obstruct the view. (I suspect the real reason is cost, but that's another question). Let's say we have a rear window, ok, so the passenger's head is blocking the view out the back. No problem, just move the mirror. We're use to thinking of a rear view mirror in the center of the car. In this case that doesn't work. Just place if off to the side and the driver will be able to see "around" the head of the passenger. True, it will be a narrow view, but good enough. I suggest the right side would be best as there is no door there to contend with. I suppose you could have a mirror on each side but I don't see the need. Problem solved?

Elio-interior-Copy.jpg

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The entire Elio car is the product of thinking outside the box. In the spirit of that let's consider this. The main reason stated for not having a rear window is because the passenger's head rest and/or head will obstruct the view. (I suspect the real reason is cost, but that's another question). Let's say we have a rear window, ok, so the passenger's head is blocking the view out the back. No problem, just move the mirror. We're use to thinking of a rear view mirror in the center of the car. In this case that doesn't work. Just place if off to the side and the driver will be able to see "around" the head of the passenger. True, it will be a narrow view, but good enough. I suggest the right side would be best as there is no door there to contend with. I suppose you could have a mirror on each side but I don't see the need. Problem solved?

Elio-interior-Copy.jpg

I don't think it would do much for seeing behind you but I think such a mirror would be a great addition if you wanted to talk with your passenger.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just do like the new Cadillacs do and have a "rear view mirror" that is really just an LCD screen in the regular mirror position that utilizes the rear camera. It looks just like a regular rear view mirror but without headrests and such blocking the view. Something like that as an
add-on would work and alleviate visibility fears.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that a rear window would do little practical good. The images below are an attempt to see just how much of a view you would get.... not much. However, it might be good to offer it as an option because some people are just used to the idea of a rear window and simply want one. As to a rear view camera as opposed to the mirror and window, the camera would give a much better view, however the mirror would cost much less and I've never hear of a mirror breaking down. Given the cost of the rear window and mirror compared to the camera, plus the practicality of each, if I wanted one and had to choose, I'ed probably go with the camera.
1a-prototype-1.jpg

rofile-f-661x406.jpg

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After my recent test drive experience in a similar three wheeler platform vehicle, I determined there is no benefit to a rear window, rear view mirror, or backup camera. The side mirrors provided all the visibility needed on the narrow rear end/single wheel platform. I suggest you test drive the Elio before you spend money on the option.

Top Bottom