• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Random Thoughts...

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I buy boards for my woodworking and was thinking a rack on the right side (like a ladder rack) would be nice. (If there is enough clearance with the front right wheel.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I buy boards for my woodworking and was thinking a rack on the right side (like a ladder rack) would be nice. (If there is enough clearance with the front right wheel.
Such a setup rigged to the frame on the right side of the Elio could serve multiple purposes -- surf boards, snowboards, skis, bicycles, ladders, perhaps even marketing/advertising signs. As eye-catching as the Elio vehicle is, it could be a dream marketing tool.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've sat in the back of an Elio twice. It's OK and I can see why there's no use for a rear view mirror because you'd be looking at the rear head rest or the passenger. Plus, it doesn't seem like if there was a rear window, you'd see much out the rear even with the rear seat folded down. Thus the reason a rear view camera would be a great option.

As for the cargo area, you'd need to remove the rear seat backrest. I suggested to them to make it like a pickup truck tailgate. Where you have some sort of angle it goes at where it could easily be removed. With that removed, you'd get more cargo area but you'd now have a massive step as opposed to a flat floor.

What was everyone else's opinion when you sat in the back of an Elio and the practical storage area you seen in person?
The rear seat was amazingly easy to access (5'-10, 145lbs.) felt "cozy" limited view.,
There is no "practical storage area. The E is a small vehicle for scooting around town or getting to work and back. Why folks continue to try and make it anything else baffles me. It's never gonna be, nor should there be a need as a family transport, bicycle carrier, camping gear/trailer.
It's the ampersand vehicle "&" .
A financially challenged family can't consider it for a primary vehicle. for lack of family space.
For fun, for commuting, for scooting around it'll be perfect! ( for me fun) 55+ years on bikes, now at 75, the knees, the back, and.... and... will bring back the delight/fun of driving. I'm so busted the automatic tranny is a "must have"
I've owned a wide range of "unusual" , "cars", Citroen 2cv, Isetta, mini (the real mini), Land Rovers, Sunbeam Alpine (couldn't afford the Tiger,), TR3 and a Sabra that come to mind. And I'd like to close out the show in an Elio. Hoping I get it before the kids have to take the keys away.
Best of luck to us all.!!! :-)

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rear seat was amazingly easy to access (5'-10, 145lbs.) felt "cozy" limited view.,
There is no "practical storage area. The E is a small vehicle for scooting around town or getting to work and back. Why folks continue to try and make it anything else baffles me. It's never gonna be, nor should there be a need as a family transport, bicycle carrier, camping gear/trailer.
A financially challenged family can't consider it for a primary vehicle. for lack of family space.
For fun, for commuting, for scooting around it'll be perfect! ( for me fun) 55+ years on bikes, now at 75, the knees, the back, and.... and... will bring back the delight/fun of driving. I'm so busted the automatic tranny is a "must have"
I've owned a wide range of "unusual" , "cars", Citroen 2cv, Isetta, mini (the real mini), Land Rovers, Sunbeam Alpine (couldn't afford the Tiger,), TR3 and a Sabra that come to mind. And I'd like to close out the show in an Elio. Hoping I get it before the kids have to take the keys away.
I too sat in the back seat of the P5. There was enough room....I'm 6' 4", BIG boned and FLUFFY :D It was "cozy" but not bad at all.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Retiring biker test drivers are giving the Arcimoto rave reviews. Even though you have no interest, I whole heartedly recommend an Arcimoto test drive when they happen to be in your neck of the woods. It will assuredly bring back the delight/FUN of driving. This comes from a non-biker, old, and busted guy that needs an auto tranny as well, but the instant torque of the EV provided for the most delightful and fun ride I’ve ever experienced. If it happened to be affordable and met some personal needs, I look at the FUV as being a FUN “&” option while waiting for our Elio’s.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score

A Triumph TR3. Ah yes, shake, RATTLE and roll.....

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Oh calm down. We're not trying to make it a cargo liner. We're merely attempting to optimize what we (will) have.
It can and will be a primary car for a considerable percentage and they will make it work for groceries, bicycles, surf boards, kayaks, lumber, and many things you haven't imagined.
It's a small car for a driver and a friend d or a driver and stuff.

And since you are being grumpy... I'm going to take a friend and TWO bicycles. And lunch.... Maybe even a puppy.

So there!

:p

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still think that a window in the back would make a rear seat passenger much happier and if it popped open an inch or three would make cruising around town nicer for both driver and passenger. Much less wind noise for the same amt. of ventilation.
It would be a window basically as wide as their headrest. They'd have to turn completely around to see out it and all it would do is bake their neck while riding. Pass.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree that a rear window would do little practical good. The images below are an attempt to see just how much of a view you would get.... not much. However, it might be good to offer it as an option because some people are just used to the idea of a rear window and simply want one. As to a rear view camera as opposed to the mirror and window, the camera would give a much better view, however the mirror would cost much less and I've never hear of a mirror breaking down. Given the cost of the rear window and mirror compared to the camera, plus the practicality of each, if I wanted one and had to choose, I'ed probably go with the camera.
1a-prototype-1.jpg

rofile-f-661x406.jpg
The last backup camera and monitor I bought cost a grand total of $20. I doubt an actual mirror would be much cheaper.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Never seen these pics of the rear seat...hardly any room on both sides. It's you, the side wall and the bumper of the other car on a side impact. And there's no stopping your head from hitting either side of the wall. ouch. Check out RUCRAZE's post of Paul Elio peeking out of the rear hatch....see his shoulders almost the width of the rear hatch???? I'll feel really awful taking somebody for a ride let alone taking that risk! The tadpole design is so because of a single rear wheel but squeezing a rear seat to make it a "two seater".......if it gets made, I'll still buy it but will remove the rear seat and use the space for hauling stuff, install a real rear window to make sense for a rear view mirror. Yap, a single seater ELIO for me.
Your rearview still won't show much more than your own face. The side curtain airbags will help that rear seat rider be a little more safe.

Top Bottom