• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Random Thoughts...

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like there is going to be a Ford engine in the new Elio. It would be nice if Elio would go ahead and confirm this... or not. This "engine" business is the first "real" news we've hear from them in quite a while and, I'm sorry, it just isn't enough. Every day that goes by with no visible action by Elio their reputation and image suffers a little more.

Remember the story of Preston Tucker and his car. He was accused of fraud and months were spent trying to clear his name and that of his company. Unfortunately, by the time he was cleared it was too late. All the bad press in the previous months had done his reputation so much harm nothing could save him. The internet trolls are busy trying to destroy Elio. Let's hope what happened to Tucker doesn't happen to Elio.

Last edited:

Bookly

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It sounds like there is going to be a Ford engine in the new Elio. It would be nice if Elio would go ahead and confirm this... or not. This "engine" business is the first "real" news we've hear from them in quite a while and, I'm sorry, it just isn't enough.
The press release was for a MOU - a Memorandum Of Understanding. An MOU is not a legally binding contract or agreement. Read the press release - it states little more than Roush has a motor or two that they will try in a prototype.
No large company (a Ford or GM or whomever we want to guess) is going to agree to be named as having an MOU with Elio Motors. Other than for Elio, there is no upside, and significant potential downside for being associated with Elio in its current state.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The press release was for a MOU - a Memorandum Of Understanding. An MOU is not a legally binding contract or agreement. Read the press release - it states little more than Roush has a motor or two that they will try in a prototype.
No large company (a Ford or GM or whomever we want to guess) is going to agree to be named as having an MOU with Elio Motors. Other than for Elio, there is no upside, and significant potential downside for being associated with Elio in its current state.
No large company? Would Ford stock not rise if it was found out that they were going to start building an additional 200,000 motors a year for a new joint venture? Hmm... That COULD be an upside to the churn...

Bookly

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
No large company? Would Ford stock not rise if it was found out that they were going to start building an additional 200,000 motors a year for a new joint venture? Hmm... That COULD be an upside to the churn...
Ford could not participate in such a press release unless they were confident it was true. Given Elio Motors current financial challenges, it is difficult to be confident that Elio will be producing cars at all, much less 200,000 of them annually.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like there is going to be a Ford engine in the new Elio. It would be nice if Elio would go ahead and confirm this... or not. This "engine" business is the first "real" news we've hear from them in quite a while and, I'm sorry, it just isn't enough. Every day that goes by with no visible action by Elio their reputation and image suffers a little more.

Remember the story of Preston Tucker and his car. He was accused of fraud and months were spent trying to clear his name and that of his company. Unfortunately, by the time he was cleared it was too late. All the bad press in the previous months had done his reputation so much harm nothing could save him. The internet trolls are busy trying to destroy Elio. Let's hope what happened to Tucker doesn't happen to Elio.
They'd better get their acts together...or some big company's (my hope) gotta do it for them and then ELIO will happen.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ford could not participate in such a press release unless they were confident it was true. Given Elio Motors current financial challenges, it is difficult to be confident that Elio will be producing cars at all, much less 200,000 of them annually.
Everyone needs to remember that this is a MoU. It's pretty much a handshake deal. No legal binding or contract at all. There's a reason why the Fortune 500 company does not want to be mentioned until there's a contract in place. I'm actually amazed that Elio even mentioned anything due to the gag order they have when it comes to releasing information. I assume that using MoU and not mentioning the Fortune 500 company makes everything OK. Hopefully they get the STO going for the general public and announce a real contract with the Fortune 500 company.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ambiguity of the press release announcing a newly-sourced powertrain makes more sense when you factor in the timing of the Elio Coin STO to accredited and institutional investors. Appear to demonstrate positive momentum towards production readiness whilst drumming up investor interest..

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool ?

Elon Musk has a talk with Paul Elio. Paul gets Elon interested in the Elio car. But, Elon is committed to electric so it doesn't look like he's going to help. Then an idea hits. Why not finance the Elio and get it into production. Then create the Elio model "E". Just drop a smaller version of the Tesla motor into the Elio and everyones happy.

I plan on holding my breath til this happens....

Top Bottom