• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Regional Fuel Prices

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Prior to retirement, I commuted for several years on my Yamaha. In addition to getting 55mpg, I could use the HOV lane (alone). My state allowed motorcycle riders to use the HOV/Carpool lane without a passenger. I made GREAT time during my commute.
It appears that Kawasaki is a 125cc, I'm guessing 70-75mpg?? In hindsight, I should have purchased a 300cc (or lower) for commuting, I really didn't need the speed or power of a 600cc engine. I did find my Yamaha to be quite comfortable for commuting, though.
View attachment 26030
How many miles was your daily commute?

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How many miles was your daily commute?
It was about 50 miles a day, but I also had to move documents around the city. The company I worked for was always doing deals where a check had to be delivered or a document needed to be signed/notarized (I was a notary - back then). I could whip around town, park just about anywhere and get the job done.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb I should also add that I purchased my Yamaha during a dealer inventory clearance sale. It was only $5,500 (on the road). I don't think I could get a new electric car for anywhere near that price.
That being said, my boss did drive an electric Tesla. He was working on this HUGE (green) renewable energy deal and wanted to endear himself to that company. Showing them he was all-in on the idea of clean renewable electric energy.
The owner started trying to talk me into an electric company car, so he could say his company was 100% electric for transportation (It was a small company, just the owner and me). I asked if I could have an electric motorcycle, instead (Zero), which was met with a resounding "YES". So had that deal have gone through, I would have been riding a Zero Electric Motorcycle.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our company did buy two Volts a few years ago, just for the image I guess. I rode shotgun with our engineer to a customer site about 400 miles away, we filled up with gas several times. After charging overnight, we had enough juice to reach the first gas station (about 20 minutes drive), but that was about it for the trip. I was extremely unimpressed. We dumped both of them a year or so later.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@Rickb I should also add that I purchased my Yamaha during a dealer inventory clearance sale. It was only $5,500 (on the road). I don't think I could get a new electric car for anywhere near that price.
That being said, my boss did drive an electric Tesla. He was working on this HUGE (green) renewable energy deal and wanted to endear himself to that company. Showing them he was all-in on the idea of clean renewable electric energy.
The owner started trying to talk me into an electric company car, so he could say his company was 100% electric for transportation (It was a small company, just the owner and me). I asked if I could have an electric motorcycle, instead (Zero), which was met with a resounding "YES". So had that deal have gone through, I would have been riding a Zero Electric Motorcycle.
Did you at least have the opportunity to test ride the Zero? Would have been a blast to own. Probably feels like riding a bullet. :) I’m not a greenie, but I understand and appreciate the long range benefits/value of renewables. My interest in EVs is based on performance and low cost and convenience to operate……..exceeding my expectations after 2 years of ownership.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our company did buy two Volts a few years ago, just for the image I guess. I rode shotgun with our engineer to a customer site about 400 miles away, we filled up with gas several times. After charging overnight, we had enough juice to reach the first gas station (about 20 minutes drive), but that was about it for the trip. I was extremely unimpressed. We dumped both of them a year or so later.
I wasn’t impressed by the early EV’s either……low range/high cost.

Sonoran Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Did you at least have the opportunity to test ride the Zero? Would have been a blast to own. Probably feels like riding a bullet. :)
No... I didn't get to test ride the Zero. I did do some research on it and yes, it would have been a fun bike.
I do see one at my local grocery store from time to time, so someone (locally) owns one. If I ever see the guy getting on or off of it, I want to talk to him. I'd really like to hear his "real world" opinion of the bike.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a google here, but the average price of an EV in the U.S. is $66,000. A whopping 13% more than last year. It's ridiculous....

My Dad would crap his pants looking at today's prices.
The “crap my pants” average price of a new vehicle is $48,043. There are a few stylish and functional EVs in the low $30’s, still high, but tax credits along with gas and maintenance savings make them more affordable to own. The new Ford F-150 Lightening @ $41,769 (likely Base Price) is far from the most expensive in Ford’s Pickup lineup. I was an EV skeptic, but had to experience one after the battery range went up and the battery price came down. The favorite car I’ve owned in 60 years of driving. NOTE: Due to greedflation everything is up 13%+ than last year.

1663942067880.jpeg

Top Bottom