• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservation Cutoff?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
This past weekend at the Rome, GA air show Joshua and I asked Jerome Vassallo about the first year cutoff and he said it would likely be at about 50-60K but the exact number had not yet been decided on. He did not give a direct answer when asked if reservations would continue into the second year and instead said that after the first year they would produce vehicles for retail sale. This is consistent with what we have heard before and my guess is that they just have not yet decided how exactly they will handle things after they reach the first year number.

I will try again next week and see what I can get from him as he is a very nice guy and very willing to speak with us however it is his job to bounce around and speak to as many people as possible.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This past weekend at the Rome, GA air show Joshua and I asked Jerome Vassallo about the first year cutoff and he said it would likely be at about 50-60K but the exact number had not yet been decided on.

for folks who want a reservation but (for whatever reason) don't want to take possession until sometime well into 2016, that is valuable info

Jim

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Let's take a step back... To build interest in this project, support its viability to investors and raise some cash, Elio Motors said they would accept reservations for the first year's production. From that point on, they need to provide inventory to the projected 60 sales outlets. Most folks I know don't order cars and wait the two months to have it delivered. In many cases they make the deal and drive off with a new car off the lot. Since this is their car buying experience, it makes the most sense to accommodate the marketplace. Since the options are added onsite, you should be able to receive your car in short order.

For me, I am VERY willing to bypass the 4-5 hrs at the dealership that is the buying process of today, and spend 30-45 min at the Elio store and come back in a day / week / 10 days to get my vehicle. I'd be happier than a woodpecker in a lumber yard!

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
This past weekend at the Rome, GA air show Joshua and I asked Jerome Vassallo about the first year cutoff and he said it would likely be at about 50-60K but the exact number had not yet been decided on. He did not give a direct answer when asked if reservations would continue into the second year and instead said that after the first year they would produce vehicles for retail sale. This is consistent with what we have heard before and my guess is that they just have not yet decided how exactly they will handle things after they reach the first year number.

I will try again next week and see what I can get from him as he is a very nice guy and very willing to speak with us however it is his job to bounce around and speak to as many people as possible.

Yes, I suppose I should succumb and realize that there's a few variables behind the reservation cutoff. Just no way to know at this point.

Since we are professional guessers, I will guess that a production start date would need to be in fairly firm but not necessarily dry cement before reservations will be closed. Maybe the plant hiring process has started, maybe the companies doing the retooling at the plant are halfway done. Whether the reservation total is at 43,000 or 63,000, might not want to close reservations until you've started hiring and at least halfway through retooling.

Agreed that the reservation rate will increase dramatically as the cutoff date gets close.

Buzzy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so. ELIO needs market reservation may not be a true measure of market but it all they have right now. Jack them numbers up.
Remember the Smart dumb car is only selling about 10K a year. Can you see the press now ELIO has reservation for 7,10 or more years of smart cars sales as the first one rolls out the door. That would fire things up.
I couldn't even fit my bass guitar in a Smart Car. Because of its length, I believe that I could put it in the back seat of an Elio, on top of my amplifier.

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, I am VERY willing to bypass the 4-5 hrs at the dealership that is the buying process of today, and spend 30-45 min at the Elio store and come back in a day / week / 10 days to get my vehicle. I'd be happier than a woodpecker in a lumber yard!
To our happy woodpecker: I agree that most car buyers would like to forgo the negotiation process, but it's the timeliness factor that I think is key. For an awful lot of people, idly cruising new car lots, looking for the best match and deal is not an option. Their car got wrecked, stolen, is unreliable, or at the shop and too costly to repair. They need a car NOW. Once the sales outlets are built, Elio intends to have the turnaround of a custom optioned vehicle to them in a couple days. This would probably suit most buyers (dealer prep and financing can sometimes cause a day's delay at any dealership).

I think what Elio Motors is trying to get their arms around is that second year of production, while the stores are being built. Do you continue to only have an online presence, having people wait in a virtual line, as things are currently? Or do you revise the model for the interim?

Also, Elio intends to have the walls at the sales outlets filled with option displays. You'll be a kid in a candy store; will you really spend a half-hour on paperwork and ignore all the goodies and the ambiance??

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
reservations …

if I understand correct, if you are willing to take a chance, "NON_REFUNDABLE", you are in the "primary" group ??

if you want "refundable", you are in the next group.

the AMOUNT gives you the position WITHIN YOUR GROUP ??

at any time you can "anti-up" with more $ and move your relative position in YOUR GROUP ??

if you anti-up, are you still locked in to your date ? or does your date now move within your $ group ??

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't even fit my bass guitar in a Smart Car. Because of its length, I believe that I could put it in the back seat of an Elio, on top of my amplifier.

Buzzy,
Depends on the size of your amp, a Peavey Combo 300 would be a bit of a squeeze, especially with a Fender PBass in it's factory case.
Dusty

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Goofyone,
Jerome and the rest of the crew at the Air Show really impressed me. That's a Class Act to show off the Elio. Paul can be proud!

Top Bottom