• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"""IF"""" Elio stops taking reservations when they reach 65 thousand, they will be able to assign reservation number to everybody with deposits. Wouldn't that been a nice xmas present?
"""IF""" Elio get on the NYSE about the same time. Wouldn't that be a nice xmas present?
"""IF""" Elio gets the ATVM loan too. Wouldn't that be a nice xmas present?
Hey, It's xmas, anything could happen and if we all really really wish with all of our hearts (rip BB gun), do our share of the mundane help, put positive vibes out there, talk to people when we are filling up our present gas guzzlers, get our numbers locked in, make sure Elio has our accounts straight, wear our T-shirts in public, ignore trolls WE ALL CAN HAVE OUR ELIOS THIS TIME NEXT YEAR.
I'm rather hoping that getting the ATVM loan is a nice Columbus Day present. We're out of time, folks, if we want to see our cars in 2017.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So we can all finally get our reservation numbers by xmas.
OK, I understand where your coming from, but LOTS of the folks who put down less than 1k have been waiting just as long. They have been as excited about this project as the SIL people. They are showing up to 'lock in' their prices. Helping that alone.

Elio can close THIS program, raise the price and start with a new bunch of reservations. We all will cheer in the new people and give & show support.
I think a swift, significant price increase on top of $7,300 would be a very bad move. Wait a while, then say something like the 65,000 get their cars at $7,300, but after those orders are filled, the price goes to $7,600 (or whatever).

The problem is, that when you've conditioned the public for years, making a sudden series of changes doesn't sit well. Not ever. No matter how reasonable. People get into grooves, and hate being bounced out of them. Elio has gone back-and-forth on things a lot lately, and that unsettles people. So let the $7300 dust settle, and the 65,000 dust settle, and the ATVM dust settle -- then make the next round of changes.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with Jerome about why 65000 reservations was set as a limit. He said he thought it was pretty arbitrary but tied to expedience. They need to get numbers to the atvm people and setting a limit is a good way to get that done.

I am less clear whether it's the end just to bonuses or to all reservations. I'm inclined to agree that they should take reservations right up to 240000. But I have no idea what they're actually going to do.
EM will play all this one step at a time, and re-evaluate before the next. But we can guess based on this, what gives the best benefit?

I think there is no benefit to stopping reservations before 240k. But definitely benefits to changing the bonus as well as the final price. Em will probably try a number of differences in price and bonus, cut-off dates and cut-off levels before production start, and if not reaching 240k, then continue collecting into production.

For other reasons I do not think they will ever go above some golden threshold on price. I'm sure it's well below 10k, base price. 8500 is a good max limit IMHO. (best at 7800)

No holds on options however. This is where the attractive profits will be, unless carbon credits come into play. If that comes on, the price may be pushed down by half of the CC benefit.

What they are trying for mostly, is a predictable and provable customer demand to justify and acquire the funds to produce for that demand at the promissory price. This is VERY much a chicken and egg problem. So they work both ends at the same time, using one to prop up the other.

We have to pat ourselves on the back, we're the ones that go it all started, giving Paul initial leverage, and we continue to provide support at each turn. That concept of 'we' keeps getting bigger each day. So CUDO's to those future Elio Owners we haven't even met yet! You ARE the visionary ones.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PS, when I say changes of price, at this point, just three changes at around 100 (or so) is enough to project a fairly instructive graph of demand vs price.

Nobody -- including Elio -- has any idea where the Laffer curve falls on this product. (That's the point where increasing price freezes demand, and where increasing benefits (more gadgets like cruise control) no longer pushes up demand and starts to hurt profit.) The other end of the Laffer curve is where lowering price without adding value no longer increases demand. Obviously, the top and bottom points suck from a profitability point. EM needs to find the sweet spot -- where they've added just enough product value and found just the right price. Adding cruise is a significant plus for many people, and EM could do it without adding (much) to the price. Cool, it comes with cruise, too!

To explain this another way: there comes a point where the added cost to Elio of added goodies (value) exceeds the increase in demand, thus killing profit. There's another point where high price starts actively cutting demand. And there's the low-end point where customers think it's a Yugo (cheap but little value). The car maker (in theory) wants to add enough value to boost demand, while pricing to keep profitability strong. If you go over that point, you're hurting the business.

There are formulas for working this stuff out, but with a brand new product, there's a lot of experimentation needed.

That, I believe, is why they said they want to play with adding options and varying their price on the Configurator. Of course, they haven't done much of that in reality. The price of carpet, for instance, hasn't budged in the Configurator, and after the first couple of weeks, neither has the automatic transmission. Either they know where they're going to price those items, or they don't have the resources to play around with the Configurator much at this time. I suspect it's the latter.

Last edited:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM will play all this one step at a time, and re-evaluate before the next. But we can guess based on this, what gives the best benefit?

I think there is no benefit to stopping reservations before 240k. But definitely benefits to changing the bonus as well as the final price. Em will probably try a number of differences in price and bonus, cut-off dates and cut-off levels before production start, and if not reaching 240k, then continue collecting into production.

For other reasons I do not think they will ever go above some golden threshold on price. I'm sure it's well below 10k, base price. 8500 is a good max limit IMHO. (best at 7800)

No holds on options however. This is where the attractive profits will be, unless carbon credits come into play. If that comes on, the price may be pushed down by half of the CC benefit.

What they are trying for mostly, is a predictable and provable customer demand to justify and acquire the funds to produce for that demand at the promissory price. This is VERY much a chicken and egg problem. So they work both ends at the same time, using one to prop up the other.

We have to pat ourselves on the back, we're the ones that go it all started, giving Paul initial leverage, and we continue to provide support at each turn. That concept of 'we' keeps getting bigger each day. So CUDO's to those future Elio Owners we haven't even met yet! You ARE the visionary ones.

Good afternoon, my friend!

Seems like it's been "forever" since I last prowled this board. . . . . . . , and thus far, it reminds me of the "soap operas" from back in the 50's and 60's. Some of the faces have changed, but the story line has remained the same.

Everyone seems to continue to follow like little black sugar ants across the cabinet top. :D We're all still searching for that pot of gold, (Elio) at the end of the day. Maybe it will come, one day, huh?

Just wish Paul would STOP moving the goal post on us.

Oh well, I'll hang around here another few days, then it's back under ground for me. More than anything in life, I HATE TO BE LIED TOO. Our dear friend, Zelio is beyond all of this, God Bless her.

Worried that there will be many of us following in her steps before this is brought to market.

Good to see you still here!

Music Man. ;)

Buckeyejake

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, to tell you the truth, I went "all in" years ago. Knew this project had some growing pains in it's future. What I didn't know was the new friends I have made and met. Will I miss the grand invested. Yeah a little. But, in an overall snapshot of my life, this Elio experience has outweighed the possible loss of income.

If I follow Zelio's path prior to receiving my production vehicle I can live with that.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, to tell you the truth, I went "all in" years ago. Knew this project had some growing pains in it's future. What I didn't know was the new friends I have made and met. Will I miss the grand invested. Yeah a little. But, in an overall snapshot of my life, this Elio experience has outweighed the possible loss of income.

If I follow Zelio's path prior to receiving my production vehicle I can live with that.

Rich attitude, my friend. . . . . . And I COMPLETELY agree with you. Kudo's to Zelio, and the warmth that she brought to this forum over the many years she was with us. She shared her heart and dreams openly with all of us.

Top Bottom